While there are many MP3 players available for consumers, the Apple iPod rules the market. iPod became a household name with their MP3 audio players. Their advantage was a very clean interface, ease of use, and full compatibility with iTunes (Apple's online music store). After the iPod, Apple released the Photo iPod. Now many others are now including photo views into their MP3 players.
Apple's latest offering, the iPod Video, includes everything found in previous iPods, but also includes video playback! While this technology is not new, Apple stepping into this medium will hopefully help the video market grow as the MP3 market did when Apple released the original iPod. Let's take a look at the iPod Video and see how it stacks up.
Specifications (taken from the Apple website):
• Storage and Song Capacity:
• 30GB (7,500 songs)
• 60GB (15,000 songs)
• Battery Life:
• 30GB: Up to 14 hours of music playback; up to 3 hours of slideshows with music; up to 2 hours of video playback
• 60GB: Up to 20 hours of music playback; up to 4 hours of slideshows with music; up to 3 hours of video playback
• Display: 2.5-inch (diagonal) color LCD with LED backlight
• iPod Ports: Dock connector, stereo minijack, composite video and audio through minijack
• Connectivity: USB through Dock connector; audio through headphone jack
• Charge Time: About 4 hours (2-hour fast charge to 80% capacity)
• Audio Support: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, WAV, AIFF
• Photo Support: Syncs iPod-viewable photos in JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD (Mac only) and PNG formats
• Video Support:
• H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
• MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
• 30 GB: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.43
• 60 GB: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.55
• 30 GB: 4.8 ounces
• 60 GB: 5.5 ounces
• Included Software: iTunes for Mac and Windows
• Included Accessories: Earbud headphones, USB cable, Dock Adapter, case
• Documentation: Electronic Features Guide and Printed Quick Start Guide
• Warranty and Service: Your iPod comes with single incident telephone support for the first 90 days and a one-year limited warranty.
The Apple iPod Video comes packaged in a very simple box sleeve. There is not much on the package, other than two pictures of the iPod Video. The "front" side has a picture of the music playback, and the "back" shows a video playback. Very sleek and classic packaging for this product.
The actual box for the iPod Video is just as sleek and classic looking at the sleeve cover. It is a fold apart box that reveals the iPod Video in a custom fit pocket. Inside the other side of the box are the accessories.