Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Help me buy a new router
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:45:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Now that is funny.... and some flashing lights... and now it's SEEEXY!!!

Guess I'm too "old skool" Routers belong in closets or racks... and I could get a rat's arse what they look like as long as they work good.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

uscfan
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:22:22    Post Subject: Router Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah yeah yeah.... I did not get the router because it was sexy, I had a regular 802.11b router and at my dads house I setup a 108mbps netgear router and it is working great as well.

So yes, the router ise sext but its mainly a great router. The 108mbps one looks great too but also performs well. I guess tonight I will have to go over there and test its range.

But mainly the point here is get NETGEAR!!!

Oh yeah I say its soooo sexy because I was suprised at how great it looks in reality. The images on the internet are not too great, i mean, wow its a router I dont care how it looks. It just so happens that this router looks as good as it performs.

P.S. All of you who watched the video, how was your download speed? Was it pretty good? The video is 9mb how long did it take?

Powercolor X800XL
OCZ Powerstream 520
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2 (Samsung TCCD)
Current Venice System fund: $500
:slobber:
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:50:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dl took 3:40 something... @ 41 KB/s...

(high high speed cable internet)
MTechnik
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have to say that between the netgear and linksys, I like the netgear a LOT. It was great until it died.

I am not using a Linsys WRT54G (I think) and it works fine, but it doesn't have the same security features, and there's a much tighter limit on the # of NAT ports.

Now, there is a freeware firmware that is supposed to rock, but until I have an extra one, I'm not risking frying mine.

But, I'd go with the netgear stuff too.

-MT
JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 00:27:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So far the new Netgear switch is working pretty well. The only bummer, I can't get my FTP Server available to clients using PASV mode. I rely on this because it allows people to connect using their web browsers w/o changing any settings at all.

It's just a shame that the firewall isn't letting some of the traffic through. The user is allow to login but the user never "sees" the directories after login (it times out).

JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 03:52:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Now, who can help me plan my network.

I'm running a Windows 2000 Domain but I started thinking....

- Is it better to have my new router or the Win2k Server serve DHCP? What is the more effective route to go? Or is there any benefit either way?

The only thing I see is if the domain controller goes down, my users will still have internet access via the router! What do you think network gurus?

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 10:41:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes, use your Win2K server as the DHCP server. You can pass more things via DHCP that way.

If the server goes down, any one that already has an IP will still have access to the i-net. Only those who don't have one and are trying to acquire one while the server is down will have a problem.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JimBowy

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 11:35:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Yes, use your Win2K server as the DHCP server. You can pass more things via DHCP that way.

If the server goes down, any one that already has an IP will still have access to the i-net. Only those who don't have one and are trying to acquire one while the server is down will have a problem.

(yes im a newbie)
What kind of stuff could I pass-on this way?

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 11:46:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

uscfan
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 01 May 2005 23:19:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

First of all, Linux rapes Windows hands down, I once used my linux server for some DHCP stuff and it worked flawless no problems perfectly.

Now, whoever said they didn't to install the firmware on their Linksys (Pronounced Leenk Sis) WRT54G, which seems to be a kickass router, you will not run into any problems, at least I didn't. I was at a friends apartment and I was netstumbling and came upon a WRT54G. I connected and sat right in front of their apartment surfing the web. Then, I got bored so I attempted a login to the router. 192.168.1.1 and using no username, and admin password. Login success. So thats how I realized it was a WRT54G so I went over to the website for the firmware and downloaded and installed it all from their own connection Wink. No problems at all and yes it has tons of features. I increased the broadcast power to 125% or something like that, which helped a bit regarding range, but might possibly be against FCC regulations I don't know.

I also enabled the telnet server and logged in. I was almost able to replace some images with home made ones, I made one that said *s#!7, but permission nonsense. But the point is, there were no problems and it worked fine. I am not sure if you can reset using the button and it will work again, but my experience was good!

LONG LIVE NETGEAR!!!!!! King

Powercolor X800XL
OCZ Powerstream 520
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2 (Samsung TCCD)
Current Venice System fund: $500
:slobber:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: