Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Windows is running very slow.
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 15:12:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Freedom??? Dude... it's an OS.... it goes on a computer... a computers function in this world is to preform task. That is it. So it is about what it can or can't do.

Do you use Linux? All the time? I don't really expect you to understand what I'm talking about, since you are on THAT side of the fence. Microsoft sees Linux as a threat, so much so that they fund companies litigation against it (SCO), and phoney "reports" (Tocqueville Institute) that are outright libel on the creator, Linus Torvalds. Hell, they even lobby congress, trying to declare the GPL unconstitutional. In short, they are trying to take away MY FREEDOM to do what the f*ck I want with my computer.

If your computer is just a machine for performing a task, maybe you should stop watching movies on it, or playing games on it, since your TV and Playstation can do that for you. Go ahead and strip the speakers off of it also, since you have a radio for that task too, right?

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 15:16:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Freedom??? Dude... it's an OS.... it goes on a computer... a computers function in this world is to preform task. That is it. So it is about what it can or can't do.

LMAO dude anyone who can duck the issue being talked about like that should go into politics Grin

We can get back to the games if you want, I'm not trying to skirt around any issue...

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 15:26:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nah I think you are right we pretty much covered games, how about you explain how Linux is about freedom instead? I am with EC I just dont see the connection. I mean you are free to use or not use any OS right? Just thinking out loud here but....if you chose Windows you are free to run about any app or game you want. Linux some but not all , Mac well we dont even need to go there do we?
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 15:36:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

That pretty much explains what I'm trying to say here.

BTW, just about all the software that I can compile and run on my Linux boxes, I can (and do) compile and run on my Mac...

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:00:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LMAO I get where you are at now it is not about "freedom" but about being free as in no $$$$. Despite how that link tries to sugar coat it that is what they are saying for the most part. You can customize and hack Windows all you want but they do their best to make you pay for it.
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:39:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
LMAO I get where you are at now it is not about "freedom" but about being free as in no $$$$. Despite how that link tries to sugar coat it that is what they are saying for the most part. You can customize and hack Windows all you want but they do their best to make you pay for it.

You missed the entire point about that link. The second sentance in it says it all:

"Free software'' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of ``free'' as in ``free speech,'' not as in ``free beer.''

Not alot of sugar coating on that, seems pretty straight forward to me.

I'm done talking about this, there is no real point anymore. This entire thread started out with an experiment with windows and spyware, and thats all it should have been.

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 17:53:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Agreed we have beat this horse to death. I still think it is a sugar coating because those "freedoms" can be had with Windows as well, well once you pay to own it. Ok I am done now too.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:20:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LOL!! You crack me up. I am not on any side of the fence (you however are). Both are good OSes, both have their flaws and their benefits.

And to many, Linux isn't about "freedom", it's about getting something for nothing. Just remember that when you go to work, and your boss doesn't want to pay you for your work. You are Linux.... Me, I go to work to get paid, so if that makes me "Windows" I can live with that.... all the way to the bank.

And no I'm not giving up my games, and ability to watch movies (I don't.. because why watch it on a tiny monitor when I can watch it on a BIG TV). Guess what... that is a TASK. That is what computers do... task. Plain and simple, dress it up all you want, put all the frills you want on it... it is still a computer, that does task.

(BTW... I run my web server on Linux because I think it's more robust of a web/mySQL server than a Windows server)

All I have to say... is... it's a computer, an OS, or a application. It's not a friend, family member, or lover. Therefore, no emotions SHOULD be involved in it.
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 22 May 2004 20:21:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
LOL!! You crack me up. I am not on any side of the fence (you however are). Both are good OSes, both have their flaws and their benefits.

Yea, I'm a zealot, never claimed not to be.

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
And to many, Linux isn't about "freedom", it's about getting something for nothing. Just remember that when you go to work, and your boss doesn't want to pay you for your work. You are Linux.... Me, I go to work to get paid, so if that makes me "Windows" I can live with that.... all the way to the bank.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=RHAT&t=6m Looks like Red Hat is laughing all the way to the bank, too.

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
no I'm not giving up my games, and ability to watch movies (I don't.. because why watch it on a tiny monitor when I can watch it on a BIG TV). Guess what... that is a TASK. That is what computers do... task. Plain and simple, dress it up all you want, put all the frills you want on it... it is still a computer, that does task.

(BTW... I run my web server on Linux because I think it's more robust of a web/mySQL server than a Windows server)

Really? Thats good, tell Microsoft to quite trying to kill the GPL, so that you can continue to do that. I'm sure that you don't mind that you got the OS for free, either, do you?

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
I have to say... is... it's a computer, an OS, or a application. It's not a friend, family member, or lover. Therefore, no emotions SHOULD be involved in it.

I'm a human being, and I put emotion into what I do. Sometimes it gets me into trouble, but for the most part, emotions cause me to try to be the best at what I do.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:42:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

"Selling Free Software" ??? You are not selling th software, you are selling your service of providing it. Otherwise, it wouldn't' be free software. And the rest of that article is... well a little strange.

And yea, RH is making money... because they aren't giving away their primary OS anymore. They are selling it... like MS does. OOO And RH is getting nothing but crap from most of the Linux community too...

As for how much Linux cost me wasn't relevant in my decision. Because I have all the MS software I want. I own 10 licenses of almost all of their "business" software. So, cost wasn't an issue. If I had to pay for Linux, I would have (and I am considering upgrading to the new paid offerings of RH when I do my next upgrade).

Unfortunately, I think people are mixing up "Free" with "Freedom". The two are not equal. While their is absolutely NOTHING wrong with saying "I choose not to us MS's products and instead choose to use only Linux/BSD/GPL software." They fact you have a choice is freedom. Not the choice.

Believe me, I have hammered on MS too. And while they have done things to kill competition, just as many times the competition has killed themselves. Believe it or not, IE became a much better browser than Netscape. Also I have to laugh when Netscape cried at MS saying that IE has non-standard tags.... LOL Well anyone that has been around for awhile knows about "Netscape Tags", which here HTML tags that were not standard and would only work in a Netscape browser.

Just remember, I am not harping on you because you like Linux. I'm just trying to help point you in a more "mellow" direction. So you realize that everything has it's place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: