Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Alright ma peepz, help me spend $500 +/-
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:42:31    Post Subject: Alright ma peepz, help me spend $500 +/- Reply with quote View Single Post

As much as I hate to - I gotta buy another laptop. Been desperately trying to get the hell out of the computer "hobby", ...moving on when what I had dies. But frigging work and the on-the-road business demands a laptop.

The area that I'm in is quite limited to shopping venues and online is completely not an option.

I need a $500 (+/- $75) laptop with around abouts a 15" display. However. with both Intel and AMD being chicken sucking @sswipes and using model numbers instead of mhz or PR ratings - I'm completely clueless as to CPU's and their comparable performance. I know the difference between Core2 Duo's, Opterons, Athlon XP/64/X2/etc - just these model numbers tell me jack about how it compares to even their own siblings(specifically Intel, AMD is a lil more obvious).

...errr, I didn't mean to get on a rant.

anyways,

From the following stores that I have available in the areas I work/live - what would you get using their online ads? I can order instore and pickup when it comes in.

Stores:
Walton B@stardmart
Circuit City
Staples
Kmart
Sears (trying to avoid them, they think I'm dead and I own them $$$)

Specs:
1. Less than $600(-/+)
2. 15" display - or close either way.
3. Intel or AMD CPU doesn't matter
4. lots of ram
5. HDD size doesn't have to be big (I dont keep sh!t on laptops)
6. has to be equiped with WiFi onboard
7. onboard webcam would be nice for web-meetings, communicating with family/friends while stuck in motelroom and picking up hot MILF's on myspace.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:48:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here are some suggestions:

HP/Compaq - Believe it or not, they build pretty good laptops. We bought a Desktop for the kids for X-mas direct and it worked out really well. Only thing I don't like is the Intel integrated video card, but in this price range unfortunately every thing will use an integrated card (some just use ATi or Nvidia chipsets).

Newegg also has some under $500 that are pretty decent, including a couple of referb's (if your so inclinded)

Or for about $600 shipped you can get a pretty decent Acer

Best Buy.com Has a Compaq that is a REALLY nice price for what all your getting.

Circuit City has some in the same range that are decent, if you can handle waiting 12 weeks for your $100 in MIR's. And I wouldn't got to WallWorld, or Staples for buying computers (won't go to Wallyworld for anything, but you knew that).
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:03:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not bad Cheezy.. Thanx!

I'll print those out to take with me as I shop. I'm trying to stay away from both Staples and Walmart for PC shopping, Walmart really for any shopping..

Not many places around here though. Gonna hit Circuity City tonite and match up some of those and see how they stand. not planning on sending rebate thing anyways... in the last 15 years, not one, (1), uno, single, rebate check has ever came back from any vender or manufacturer - even if I have someone else send it in for me. ....wont waste time filling them out ever again.

I wish there was a Best Buy around.. I think the closest is about 40 miles away from the town I work in, - 80-90miles away from my house.

on a side note, what the difference between the Core2 Duos and the Dual Core Pentiums in the lappies? Is that Pentium of the P7 Netburst design or on the P6 design like the older Dothan?

Last edited by knight0334 on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:33:44; edited 1 time in total
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:15:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
Not bad Cheezy.. Thanx!

I'll print those out to tax with me as I shop. I'm trying to stay away from both Staples and Walmart for PC shopping, Walmart really for any shopping..

Not many places around here though. Gonna hit Circuity City tonite and match up some of those and see how they stand. not planning on sending rebate thing anyways... in the last 15 years, not one, (1), uno, single, rebate check has ever came back from any vender or manufacturer - even if I have someone else send it in for me. ....want waste time filling them out ever again.

I wish there was a Best Buy around.. I think the closest is about 40 miles away from the town I work in, - 80-90miles away from my house.

on a side note, what the difference between the Core2 Duos and the Dual Core Pentiums in the lappies? Is that Pentium of the P7 Netburst design or on the P6 design like the older Dothan?

I did some reading up on it online. It looks like the T2310 Pentium dual-core that was in one of the laptops you posted is just the C2D's that didn't make the cut and are being sold now as a low-end processor. I think you'll be looking at a Yonah core with this chip, though I'm not positive. The spec sheet on the intel site says the T2310 is both dual core and 64bit, despite the lower clock speed. Probably a pretty good processor for what you're looking to do with it.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:07:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:

Best Buy does deliver... I don't know why, but I'm sorta liking Best Buy lately and I didn't used to.

I think the Dual Core Pentium's are the Pentium D's or more likely the Yonah core's.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:30:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well.. heres what I got. Spent a lil more than I initially intended, but got better machine over all.

HP DV6810US $720.** after tax. Plus theres a $50 rebate that I might think about sending in and wasting another $.41 for stamp.

Key Specifications
•Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1(1)(20a)
• AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60 (2)(2a)(3a)(4b)
• 15.4" WXGA High-Definition (Cool BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display
• NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M (UMA) (6) with up to 1071MB Total
Available Graphics Memory
• 3072MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA) (7)
• LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support(16) (16a)
• 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth (10)
• HP Mobile Remote
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:31:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

First of many questions...

How the hell do I turn off these Vista warnings for running things. ... I mean totally cripple the things.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:53:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's a couple of guides (cause I'm not an expert at Vista)

http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/index.htm

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Mostly remember to turn UAC (User Account Control) OFF!! http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:53:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OOO And Nice Lappy! More p0rn for you!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:29:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow... That was fast! And nice purchase... Sounds like good stuff!!

My new laptop has very similar specs (slightly weaker CPU, but wider screen)... and I love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: