Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Alright ma peepz, help me spend $500 +/-
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:51:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Congrats on the nice lappy...

If you have questions or issues with Vista let me know. I've been using Vista for about 2 years now (through many betas) and use it as my only OS now.

If you have issues with a program, make sure you go into the properties of it and try compatibility mode (and making sure you have the latest version if possible). Many people forget about compatibility mode and just get upset. You can also tell the app to run as administrator if you have issues, which helps sometimes.

I've not run into many apps that I've had to do that, at least not after I updated to the latest version...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:58:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

definitely not a fan of Vista.. too sluggish and convoluted. *{looks at XP volume license edition CD and ponders}*
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:55:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, I can see that, especially with all the "extra value added" software the vendors tend to toss on there. I really hate that they put all that crap on there and have it tied so closely to the other programs.

If you can do it, a fresh install of Vista would make it run much smoother (or put XP on there as you are thinking). Vista is a resource hog, without a doubt...
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:01:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm slowly working on stripping it. I have XP down to 80mb of used ram after bootup and things settle.

I'll see how far I can strip Vista before I do anything about changing the OS.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:00:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, one word of advice on reimaging it to XP...

REALLY check for drivers for XP. I've seen several new laptops that there are no working drivers for XP as it was designed only for Vista.

Buddy of mind just mentioned it because he rebuilt a HP laptop from Vista to XP this weekend and had issues with drivers, specifically network and sound drivers.

He got it to work, but with 4 year old drivers that weren't designed for his hardware.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:26:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hellfire wrote:
Well, one word of advice on reimaging it to XP...

REALLY check for drivers for XP. I've seen several new laptops that there are no working drivers for XP as it was designed only for Vista.

Buddy of mind just mentioned it because he rebuilt a HP laptop from Vista to XP this weekend and had issues with drivers, specifically network and sound drivers.

He got it to work, but with 4 year old drivers that weren't designed for his hardware.

Yep, I've heard the same thing.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:42:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

gonna hold off on the XP thing til I know for sure.. I have gut feeling that I can strip Vista down to 3-400mb of used ram.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:04:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
gonna hold off on the XP thing til I know for sure.. I have gut feeling that I can strip Vista down to 3-400mb of used ram.

Both EC and Hellfire are right, you see that a lot with laptops now. (Expecially dell's in my case)

*hands over an ubuntu cd* All you could ever want a laptop to do for you and much better on RAM sucking than Vista Smile.

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:06:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well... heres my two week review:

Am quite happy with new HP DV6810US.

Turion X2 TL-60 2.0ghz
3GB DDRII PC5300
GeForce Go7150M shared graphics. (set at 128mb in BIOS)

Even though Vista is a RAM w#0R3 - it runs quite fine if you keep your applications to a minimum. Of the 3GB of RAM equipped, about 700mb is left after Vista settles to the desktop. Granted, there are about 100-200MB of HP and other programs running that I haven't trimmed yet - it still has yet to justify the over 2GB that Vista uses. ...plain and simple - no operating system needs to use anything more than 100mb of RAM.

Display: The onboard nVidia graphics perform quite well. Better than I expected really.. I downloaded and installed Guild Wars and then logged into a busy town that usually makes my desktop studder some. I was ready for some laggy 4-20fps movements - but to my surprise nearly all movements were fluid and smooth(couple exceptions). I didn't play around much further due to not having a mouse handy.

Sound: For a laptop - its rather decent. The Altec Lansing speakers sound good. One thing that does concern me is - the volume max's out rather low. Sometimes with all settings set to max, its difficult to hear the lappy over typical TV volumes.

The touchpad is relatively large and easy to get an extra finger on it - which messes with cursor movements.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:39:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cool. Glad it's working out for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: