Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hard Drive
http://www.bigbruin.com/content/barracuda1tb_1
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:39:18    Post Subject: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hard Drive Reply with quote View Single Post

Years ago I never imagined I would “need” a terabyte of storage. Fast forward to today with the explosion of digital media and it is easy to justify such a need. Once you do acquire such a large drive you may worry about reliability, as 1TB of data is a lot to lose. Today we will test the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB hard drive in terms of speed, reliability, and value.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:19:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for a GREAT review, Jason!

I personally own only WD Hard-Drives at the moment (2x250GB in my Main rig and 1x500GB in my HTPC), but I used to own Seagate Hard-Drives in the past and they never let me down.

With the space on my 500GB HD in my HTPC getting lower and lower, I might be getting a 1TB HD soon and I might get a Seagate one. Smile

Thanks again for the review... Wave
slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:09:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My first PC back in '95 came with a 1GB hard drive. I would have never thought back then that todays PC's would need drives thousands of times that large.
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:20:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

slugbug wrote:
My first PC back in '95 came with a 1GB hard drive. I would have never thought back then that todays PC's would need drives thousands of times that large.

You're talking about 1GB HD? I got my first hard-drive on 1990 and it was 20MB and had a size of a shoe box (it was external) Laughing

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
OCZ Gold PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 2x2048MB @5-5-5-15-2T
Zotac GTX275 @713/1512/1260
2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM LCD
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:31:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LOL I remember my first computer....was nothing but a box with a bunch of switches and lights. Had to flip them in the right sequence to run things LOL Yea, I know I'm dating myself...I quickly stepped up to a much more powerful computer that included a TAPE drive! WOHOOO! I was loving it when cartridges and floppies came out Smile
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 03:10:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Would that be the Antikythera device Hellfire?

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Kythera.htm

Laughing Laughing

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 04:46:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Would that be the Antikythera device Hellfire?

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Kythera.htm

Laughing Laughing

Hehehe... Laughing Damn, those Romans were sophisticated abck then...I wonder what would they do if they had an i7 Quad-Core and a GTX285!!! Laughing

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
OCZ Gold PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 2x2048MB @5-5-5-15-2T
Zotac GTX275 @713/1512/1260
2x250GB WD H.D in RAID 0
Mushkin 650W PSU
Viewsonic 22" VX2235WM LCD
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Browser
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 13:09:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm sorry but I don't think the review is very good, they way it was done (benchmarks etc) was fine but I have a problem with it going on about "competition".

The only so called "competition" is an older Seagate HDD and a possibly even older Maxtor who is owned by Seagate. Every drive basically being from Seagate with 1 new model "competing" against older models and the result of the newer one beating the so called competition by x%, well lets just say some would wonder if this is a sponsored review.

First of all comparing a new hard drive against ones so old what do you expect, I sure wouldn't expect any competition there, infact if there was the new drive would have to be bad. Also seeing how a single new drive compares to older models, which are not competitors to it, is rather useless unless it's some kind of retrospect to see how something has changed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with how you reviewed the drives, but it is useless to any buyer wanting to buy a new hard drive considering this drive or one of it's actual competitors, such as from Samsung, Toshiba, Western Digital etc.. Then you could compare how the reviewed drive uses about twice as much power as a WD Green 1TB (WD10EADS) for example (going on product specs anyway), other advantages/disadvantages...

You also mentioned you would test it's reliability, well the only page which even mentions reliable is the first where you say it's important and you're going to test it. I apologise if I missed it but how did you test this, what stress tests did you put it through, constant use, temperature tolerance etc?

Just for the record I'm not anti Seagate, infact all of my drives for about a decade have been Seagate, untill the recent 7200.11 fiasco with their drives failing left and right where I replaced a faulty Seagate 1TB with a Western Digital 1TB.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 13:36:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll agree with you on your two main points.

On the competition... It was rather weak on this one, but on occasion that does happen here and elsewhere (with some other places opting for no reference items during tests). While it would be great if all the reviewers were able to have at least one of each of the latest and greatest products from every manufacturer, that probably won't happen in my life time. It does make me aware that a more in depth check of what the possible competition is with any given reviewer might be necessary. One thing the review can provide is some insight in to the performance boost one might expect when looking to upgrade a system that may have been running a drive for the past 2-3 years.

As for the reliability... that is an aspect of the review that got past my 'review'. Even with a slew of stress tests, it is hard to accurately gauge the reliability of any product in just a few weeks. While some more things might have been done to better back up that claim, a few years use might be the best test. The review might just be better off without that part.

As for the 'sponsored review' jab... All I have to say is that has never happened, and never will.

Thanks.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:18:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The biggest thing I took away from this review is that these are 7200.12 drives, not 7200.11 drives and should not exhibit the issue seagate had with the previous revisions. Time will tell off course, but I'm confident the reviewer will check back in if reliability issues present themselves.

Although the comparison isn't against it's direct competition, the numbers are still relevant and can be used to verify that the drive performs as claimed by the manufacturer. They can also be applied loosely to other reviews on the net. Granted the large variation in test systems make it nearly impossible to directly compare the numbers to other reviews, it still gives you an idea what to expect and can serve to either re-enforce other benchmark data or cast a light on inconsistencies that may arise.

I would also like to add that I've contributed a couple reviews to BB.com and have never felt pressured or influenced to produce favorable or unfavorable reviews.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: