Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
RedPower In Dash Radio/ DVD/ CD/ MP3 with 3.5 Inch TFT
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobanjoboy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 02:56:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

stimpy wrote:
I just installed my DVD 990 from Geeks.com over the weekend. So far, so good. I don't have the same complaint about FM reception since I live in an area where all the radio stations are in Spanish anyway. I did note the complaint about seperate bass and treble controls. The unit DOES have seperate bass and treble controls accessed by tapping the volume knob, but the EQ must be OFF for them to work.

If anybody knows how to change the DVD splash screen, however, I would be very interested in how to do that. My screen has some Portugese writing on it, and I'd rather have a nice photographic image.

I would love to be able to edit that screen also. I would like to see some kind of firmware update feature.

Last edited by gobanjoboy on Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:00:11; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

gobanjoboy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 02:57:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dogga-20v-turbo wrote:
[B]
HI. DO YOU KNOW HOW THE TV TUNER WORKS ON THE DVD PLAYER? DO I NED TO BUY AN ADITTIONAL ARIAL OR TUNER CARD?

I have not bought one of these yet but you need to get something like this with this unit

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q3IXweQpmx6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=81700&tab=morephotos&i=020ZCB301&pi=2&display=XL#Tab
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:02:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cool... the TV info has me interested in giving this another shot... but not sure where... And, if anyone does find a way to update the firmware, you have to post details!
gobanjoboy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 00:57:25    Post Subject: MPEG4 format Reply with quote View Single Post

I have found the correct MPEG4 format for this deck. XVID seem to be the choice for MPEG4. Download the codec at http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/.

I also highly recommend "Pocket-DVD Studio" from http://www.pqdvd.com/watch_dvd_on_pocket_pc.html
joethebob
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:57:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the review, someone sent me a link to what appears to be the newly rebranded version of it on geeks.

Could anyone with this unit verify a few questions for me?

1. FM response - The tuner sensitivity spec looks pretty poor at 15dbf, anyone had at least useable response from it?

2. DVD-audio - anyone tried playing a disc in this format?

3. DVD-/+R/W and MP3's - anyone tried loading a burnable dvd in any variation with mp3's yet? From the specs it seems like it should but you can never tell with iffy imports.

I was very close to building a gumstix based unit with similar specs, but this would seem to have most of what I want with a much smaller dent to my pocket than what I would need for seperate components.
gobanjoboy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 17:20:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

joethebob wrote:
Thanks for the review, someone sent me a link to what appears to be the newly rebranded version of it on geeks.

Could anyone with this unit verify a few questions for me?

1. FM response - The tuner sensitivity spec looks pretty poor at 15dbf, anyone had at least useable response from it?

2. DVD-audio - anyone tried playing a disc in this format?

3. DVD-/+R/W and MP3's - anyone tried loading a burnable dvd in any variation with mp3's yet? From the specs it seems like it should but you can never tell with iffy imports.

I was very close to building a gumstix based unit with similar specs, but this would seem to have most of what I want with a much smaller dent to my pocket than what I would need for seperate components.

I ordered the Red Power but Geeks sent me the Explosound. That should be the current one Geeks has listed. I have not tried to played a burnt DVD yet. I was going to put mp3s on a DVD but ended up using SD card instead. I will try that tonight. DVD-audio. I don’t own any DVD-audio CDs though I have tried to play a DVD and it played just fine. FM acts funny depending on the part of town I’m in. The signal gets crappy but I’m just going to buy a $12 signal buster to fix that issue. TV seems to work great. I am going to get an antenna for it and it should be prefect. The only thing I did not like was when I put mp3 and mpeg avi files on the same SD card.. it would only show me the MP3’s video files on their own card works fine. I Email Red Power and they said that this unit will play Divx, Xvid, and Ipod files.
Backwards
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:43:00    Post Subject: The Explosound offered from Geeks.com Reply with quote View Single Post

I purchased the Explosound DVD / Divx / MMC / Mp3 / CD / TV Tuner deck recently and after having had it for a period of three weeks wanted to let you guys know what my experiences have been like. Having read this forum close to the time that I had purchased the deck I noticed the praise and complaints that others have registered and I too have experienced some of them.

Upon first installation it was a chore to adjust the screens contrast to something I was satisfied with. The on-screen text is hardly legible using a terrible "Electric Dreams" Edgar-like font. The splash screen that comes up when ever inserting a CD or DVD or even SD memory card says "DVD" with a horrible looking explosound logo and what appears to be spanish text below that. I would also very much LOVE to flash the firmware to remove this very annoying splash screen.

It's rather silly that the unit cannot differentiate between a CD or a DVD or an SD memory card insertion, that same screen pops up and remains even while cd's, mp3 cd's, and dvd mp3 cd's are inserted. Don't get me wrong, for the price this unit is very satisfying for its sheer capabilities, but the annoyances are there and hopefully there is a way in the future to remedy them.

Here are my views regarding the decks capabilities and my opinions thereof:

1. Mp3 Playback from CD and DVD burned as simple data discs in folders: sound quality was much better than the Blaupunkt mp3/cd deck I had removed to install this unit. I was impressed by how the unit improved the sound of my vehicles stock 4 speaker setup. The EQ settings were ok, but by manually tuning the bass and treble and turning off the loudness button, you can achieve a better tonal quality.

2. Mp3 and DivX/Xvid playback from SD 1GB memory stick: The same familiar "DVD/Large X-Explosound" logo is seen while playing back sound files from the SD card. This is rather annoying due to the fact that you are listening to music and not watching a DVD, but maybe I'm just being too picky, I would love to however flash anything onto the decks screen besides the logo that comes stock, its atrotious. Sound quality from an SD memory stick is the same as from a CD or DVD, which was quite good.

3. DVD playback: The included remote was very intuitive and useful and much better than what you might expect from a portable unit. The zoom features are nice, and the ability to change audio track and even display subtitles is very nice. However the subtitles are not easy to read considering the screen is so small, but that's ok, DVD playback was a huge plus for this unit.

4. DivX/XviD playback: I tested both DivX and XviD encoded movie files with mp3 and AC3 audio tracks and both played very well. The only drawback to playing a feature length movie in this format is that you do not have the ability for fast forward in the movie, and when you turn your car off in the middle of the movie, it does not resume from the point that you had stopped it when turning off the ignition. The ability to resume a movie was present while playing DVD movies.

5. TV/Tuner: I installed a $40.00 tv tuner antenna purchased from Fry's electronics and installed it inside the rear window and can pull about 6 to 7 channels, 4 had very good reception, and 3 had snowy artifacts, but audio was very in-tune, and both video/audio playback was best when the vehicle was not moving. (Side note: if you have children, this deck is a lifesaver for a quieter driving experience, with them being distracted watching episodes of Simpsons and Married With Children on DVD they fight and scream and kick the back of your seat alot less.) Rating on TV Tuner with aftermarket antenna installed is a solid 8, and a huge plus considering that awful splash screen that I just can't get over, lol.

6. CD playback: CD's play very well and I haven't had a single skip while driving, but then again I don't drive on dirt roads, or in an off-road SUV.

7. Aesthetics/Comeliness: The front of the unit with the face removed looks very nice and clean in the dash of my vehicle. With the face installed the unit looks expensive, the quality and precision of the chrome analog volume knob and chromed semi-circle menu template gives it a very clean and refined look. The refined look however hits a tree at 60/mph when the unit is turned on and that horribly tasteless explosound logo is revealed. It gives the unit which was "pretty" when off, a cheapened look. If this logo were revealed in a sales ad I would venture to guess that most shoppers would give this unit a pass, it does to the extreme, cheapen the experience of a deck that has alot of potential for all its abilities. The overall value cannot be beat, but on units that I have seen in the 150.00-200.00 price range above this one, have very clean bright and sharp logo screens, not a blurry rushed 6th grade penciled and crayoned logo that reminds you that you did in-fact get what you paid for.

A simple and easy way to flash the firmware on this unit like you would on a home dvd player would remedy alot of the cheap feel you get when using this unit and having to suffer that logo screen. If anyone I pray knows how to do this please let me know. And if I've come off as too negative on this unit, please slap me around a bit with your comments.

I do like it, but it could be alot better with a simple "flash."
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:49:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Good information there.

I would recommend checking with the manufacturer, see if they are planning any updates to the player. Specifically I would mention your feelings on the screens. Possibly reference this site so they can see that others feel the same way.
vindicatedbliss
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:30:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was given this player from someone on freecycle Cardiff (yahoo group people use to 'recycle' goods they no longer want or need. In this case, someone upgraded thier car stereo and I got this one for free. No complaints from me. It however did not come with a remote control or the manual/instructions. I am a gadget afficianado and love to know excactty what every button does and means and will memorise an instuction booklet with pride. So I was a bit dissappointed in not getting one. I have tried scrolling the new for REDPOWER and have only been able to find some reviews (like this one) and a few references. The actual REDPOWER website is a lame solid page showcasing thier newest player only.

Would any owner be able to scan or fax me a copy? Is anyone willing to part with the remote control? Does anyone know if a universal remote control would work on this player?

I was a bit dissapointed by the lack of dexterity to the video screen which simpley looks a bit worn. Colours are dull, picture quality is poor, VGA at best, but beggars cant be chosers and now that I've spent for the installation, connections etc etc.... its mine and I'd like to master its use.

I've also managed to sort out the Fm radio problems - you might not have inserted the FM reciever or need to buy one to connect into the back. Motorworkd has them for a couple of quid. I also ran a cable from the back out the side to connect aux in to my IPOD so I can now play my tunes so no real need for SD or mini usb.

Great review. Thanks
VindicatedBliss

www.VindicatedBliss.com
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 13:36:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I sold the stereo and the car it was in about a week after the review was posted, so I can't help... Sorry. Good luck finding something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: