Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Windows is running very slow.
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:32:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Linux for desktop use requires more than a no button mouse and big shiny buttons, it's not for everyone obviously.

It would be hard to convert people in previously mentioned offices to Linux, but people that wanted to could, and would be better off afterward.

As for "OS V" that's a bit dated don't you think? Now OS X is a great OS, and better than Windows. It's has a mach based kernel with BSD userland and is better than Linux and BSD is some respects.

I'm not going to keep on about this, Windows is not the better OS by any means, although it has it's place. The reason it has it's place is because THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE USES!

What if all the computer vendors started supplying Linux, BSD, or OS X on their computers? New computer users would learn that OS instead, use programs written for that OS, and they wouldn't be able to run those programs from Windows, or use Windows very well.

The thing is, Windows has been given to everyone, that's what people know, that's what most programs are for, it doesn't make it the better OS by any means.

Last edited by Dud3! on Sun, 23 May 2004 18:40:01; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:38:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3! wrote:
Oh, and you would know what the big deal with restarting was if your computer was actually doing something.

WTF is that supposed to mean? You have no clue what my computer is or is not doing. A restart only takes a few seconds to a minute or two at most I just dont see the big deal about having to restart.
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:43:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you have several things going, and you want to install a program or upgrade something, replace part of the OS, etc, guess what you have to do in windows? Restart.

I don't know about you, but when I'm compiling a program, encoding 5GB worth of video, and whatever else, I don't want to have to restart because I installed a new app, upgraded my video drivers, or installed a new graphical desktop.

And I wasn't being nasty with that statement, I know it turned out looking like that though......

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:45:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3! wrote:
As for "OS V" that's a bit dated don't you think? Now OS X is a great OS, and better than Windows. It's has a mach based kernel with BSD userland and is better than Linux and BSD is some respects.

Sorry... I meant OS X... Bang Head Big diff.

And When did I say that Windows was the better OS???? Confused
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:49:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You didn't, but that's the general tone of this "conversation" which is better.

As you've stated, they all have their place, but Windows only has it's place because that's what people have been given.

Can we not go in circles here?

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:53:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3! wrote:
If you have several things going, and you want to install a program or upgrade something, replace part of the OS, etc, guess what you have to do in windows? Restart.

I don't know about you, but when I'm compiling a program, encoding 5GB worth of video, and whatever else, I don't want to have to restart because I installed a new app, upgraded my video drivers, or installed a new graphical desktop.

And I wasn't being nasty with that statement, I know it turned out looking like that though......

I guess I am just more organized, I plan my stuff out and don't do things that will require a reboot when I am in the middle of doing something else. That and once I get it all set up I dont have that many things that require a reboot so once again it is no big deal
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:04:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3! wrote:
You didn't, but that's the general tone of this "conversation" which is better.

As you've stated, they all have their place, but Windows only has it's place because that's what people have been given.

Can we not go in circles here?

You simply can't admit, that there are palces that Windows is better than Linux can you?? It might just kill you to admit it... lord forbid that huh? Laughing

How does the saying go?? Something like.... "Kids, move out of your parents house while you still know everything!"
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:21:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You seem to be the only that thinks they know everything, I don't have that attitude at all.

I've already said windows is better for some things, how many times do you want me to say? I think you've been hanging around your toddlers too long..........

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:35:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3! wrote:
You seem to be the only that thinks they know everything, I don't have that attitude at all.

I've already said windows is better for some things, how many times do you want me to say? I think you've been hanging around your toddlers too long..........

LMAO if that isn't the funniest thing I have seen all day I dont know what is. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:45:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:

And that is your problem... I don't "like Windows". It is a capable OS, the most popular, and is for the most part an Easy to use Desktop system.

I don't have a problem with Linux... It's a capable OS, gaining in popularity, and is a slightly more difficulty Server system.

And I have not missed your questions... I am simply asking for you to explain things. It seems as though you can not. Because you have lack of experience. Which is fine. But you simply won't admit that.... god for bid.... you might not have all the facts and are being over zealous about your decisions. Those who have an open mind, and learn balance, are going to be much more successful.

Yes, we all know that you are an admin, and you seem hell bent on trying to put me in your position, and grilling me with questions that I'm not going to know. I'm not a sysadmin, I never claimed to be, so quit trying to paint me as one. I answered your hypothetical situations to the best of my ability.

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
You see... Windows, Linux, Novell, none of them "win". They each have their uses, they each have their pluses, their minuses, etc... And what you seem hell bent on is not giving Windows the rewards it deserves. All I have been asking is... "Why? And what facts do you have to make your decisions on? Other than... MS = Devil, Linux = God"

Is that why you are so angry, because I won't give Windows the respect it deserves? I'm not even sure how to reply to that. That is strange to me to be so angry about.

I also use OS X(been on it all day typing this, my Linux box is off) and I'm experimenting with a FreeBSD system lately too. So it's more like Linux=good *NIX

How about this, Linux makes me happy. Since you think that using a computer should be an emotionless activitly to perform a task, then I don't know if you will understand where I'm coming from.

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
OPEN YOUR MIND...... Don't try to use a Hammer to put flip an egg... use a spatula! Bang Head

You know, alot of people would say that I have openend my mind. Maybe you should realize that not every one thinks, or wants to think, like you.

I am DONE. Have a good day, gentlemen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: