Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Are dead/lit pixels a defect?
want to return a tv...
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:37:17    Post Subject: Are dead/lit pixels a defect? Reply with quote View Single Post

I know several years ago stores had all kinds of weird rules about dead / lit pixels and accepting returns because of them. Like, less than 8 was somehow OK, or less than 3 within an inch of each other.

It seems like today they should not be tolerated, and I was looking on the Best Buy site in particular for information on what their policy might be, but didn't see anything.

Here is the scoop...

I had a TV I loved. It was a 27" widescreen LCD... wall mountable, VGA and HDMI inputs, etc... After 14 months it just wouldn't power up. I had the extended warranty so I got Best Buy on the case to fix it. That was January 4th! It is now almost 8 weeks later, and as you might imagine my phone calls have become less and less friendly as time goes by and my TV is still broken. The whole process was a pain in the a$$, but that is a different rant...

Anyway, yesterday they call and say it can't be fixed and I am authorized for a replacement, go to the store and get one. Of course they don't have that model any more, and all the comparable models are missing something I need (like wall mount, HDMI, VGA).

I wind up paying $100 for a 32" TV and another 4 year warranty... Fair enough I guess, it seems like a nice upgrade since it now has more ports, a bigger screen, and so on. But now I have it home and there is a bright red lit pixel staring me in the face! Arrgh... Just one, but I see it all the time and it distracts me from watching TV.

So... is 1 lit pixel too many? Would you take it back? To me it is a defect, but I don't want a huge hassle. I know Samsung has a zero pixel policy, but this isn't a Samsung (Insignia actually).

I miss the old TV... I really did rock.

Bang Head
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:15:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Personally, I would take it back and see what they say.

Worst case if you are within the 14 day return period, return it and buy another one.

When I buy something new I expect it to be perfect or at least as close as possible. If I'm not happy with it initially, I won't be happy down the road.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:22:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I am within one day of "buying" it. Just frustrating as all the old TV needed was a new power supply... The tech who checked it out said so. They were just so incompetent at getting it and putting it in. So, 8 weeks of wasted time, $100 more out of my pocket, and a TV I am unhapy with. I suppose it is time to get ready to rumble at Best Buy!
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:41:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think I posted some site that claimed to fix dead pixels...I think in the software area, but couldn't find it.

Try this site, there are some software links that might help. I do not take any responsibility to the damage you might do to your LCD Grin

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:42:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I tried some of those tips... I think the author laughs with each page view. The javascript thing did nothing, and the various rubbing methods didn't help either. I actually thought I made more lit pixels, but luckily they went away.

It was fun connecting my new laptop via HDMI to do the software based fix...
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:48:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have read reports of people being able to fix "stuck" pixels on their LCD's, but was unsuccessful in my attempts.
I think depending on the location of the stuck/dead pixel, one would be too many for me too. Over the years I've had a couple monitors that had 1 or 2 pixel issues, but they have all been off to the side or bottom and not very noticeable. If the pixel is in the middle of the screen it would really get to me. Since it's only a day old, I would take it back and see what they say.

*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:48:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd take it back.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:52:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I forgot to update this... I packed the TV up on Friday and went back ready to battle. I got the same woman at the service desk, which was a good thing. She was very nice and considerate the first time, but could tell I was frustrated at having to wait 8 weeks, etc... She saw me coming back with the replacement and looked nervous. The whole exchange took all of 30 seconds and all I was asked was to show that the remote control was in the box with the one I brought back.

So, now I have a new TV, same model. And guess what? It has one lit pixel! But, this one is not so bad... It is about 2" from the bottom, about in the middle, but it is way different. The first one was bright red all of the time. Depending on the viewing angle, this one is red, green, or blue, and it is very faint. I haven't tried 'massaging' this one, but feel it may be fixable. Besides, I don't stare at this one non-stop like I did at the first one.

So, it didn't get resolved completely, but meh...
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:10:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Some pixel defects can be cured.
You may need to burn a video CD to do this.
set an all white sceen for 10-12 hours.
try an all black screen for 10-12 hours
I have seen some suggestions that a rapidly changing (screen saver like pattern) can fix lazy pixels.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:15:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-shirt wrote:
I have seen some suggestions that a rapidly changing (screen saver like pattern) can fix lazy pixels.

Yeah - I have tried a few software applications like that. One was a browser launched Java thing, and the other was a download. Neither did anything.

Hadn't seen the solid color method suggested, but may try that.

Odd thing... I remember my first LCD monitor having one red lit pixel when I bought it 5 years ago... I still have it and looked... It is gone. That used to drive me crazy, and I don't remember when I forgot that it existed... But now it doesn't even exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: