There seems to be almost an endless supply of external hard drives to choose from today; various shapes, sizes, and colors. With that in mind the ioSafe
Solo rugged USB external hard drive hits the market with what seems to be not only a unique, but vital focus, and that is protecting your data. Not just in the sense of security, but from disasters, something the other guys are not touching. The ioSafe Solo is said to protect your data from fire or flood, a very impressive boast indeed. It is time to put it to the test and see just how safe your data is, by checking out the ioSafe Solo 500GB Rugged USB External Hard Drive.
Before taking a closer look at the unit provided for review, let's take a look at some information regarding the company and the product, as taken from the ioSafe
"ioSafe designs and manufactures disaster proof hardware to protect digital assets, photos and video. Using its patented technologies, ioSafe offers a new breed of data storage systems and hard drives. Like an aircraft black box, ioSafe network storage, USB devices and internal hard drives provide complete protection for your personal and business data. Today, ioSafe offers fireproof hard drives that can survive floods at price points that everyone can afford."
Features and Specifications:
» Dimensions (inches): 5.0W X 7.1H X 11.0L
» Weight (lbs): 15
» Interface Transfer Rate (USB 2.0): 480 Mbps
External Power Supply:
» AC Input: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz, 1.0 A
» DC Output: 12V @ 2 A
» Operating: 40 - 95°F
» Non-operating: 0 - 1550°F, up to 30 minutes per ASTM E119
» Operating (non-condensing): 20 - 80%
» Non-operating: 100%, up to 72 hours @ 10' depth
1. Single disk. 500 GB, 1TB and 1.5TB capacities.
2. Quiet forced air cooling.
3. Multi-platform compatibility: Windows, Mac and Linux
4. USB 2.0, 7200 RPM, up to 480Mb/s
1. Intel Pentium II 350 Mhz-compatible or Mac G3 processor & greater
2. Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or Mac OS 8.6 & greater
3. USB equipped system
4. For USB 2.0 speeds, the system must support USB 2.0 specifications
Disaster & Security Specifications:
1. Fire protection — 1550° F, 1/2 hour per ASTM E119
2. Tested per UL, FCC and CE Standards
3. Flood / submersion protection — to 10 feet water depth, 3 days.
4. Proven data protection and recovery. Tested to ASTM E119 standards for fire exposure.
5. Physical theft protection
6. Cable lock or floor mount optional
1. $1,000 Data Disaster Recovery Guarantee. One time, no questions asked policy.
2. 3 Year standard manufacturer's warranty for defects