Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
HD Issues
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:21:54    Post Subject: HD Issues Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok...here's the deal...

I woke up this morning, started some MP3's and went abotu getting ready for work. I called my gf and talked to her for about 15 min and went back in the computer room to change the song (it was quiet). I clicked on a song, and then noticed the wonderful noise that I had been dreading since I built this computer - The click of death. Yes...that's right...my MP3 hard drive (with roughly 5000+ mp3's (all legal, of course)) hosed itself.

After saying a few choice words, I shut down my computer and unhooked the 80 GB hard drive (piece of crap). I rebooted the computer...and it says: "Disk boot failure" blah blah blah. Oh hell. My main hard drive is a SATA 74GB Raptor. It's the BOOT hard drive, with the OS and everything on it. All my stories (I have another good one to post...assuming I can get it back). All my games. All my pictures (of trips I've been on recently). So, I decided that apparently, the system needed a hard drive on there that was an ATA HD so that it could boot SATA (which it was doing before). I have a spare 40 GB and I hooked it up. "Disk Boot Failure..." Joy.

Normally, I don't think it would be that much of a problem. I usually can think things through without problem...but this morning, I was just so frustrated that I shut everything down and came to work.

Does ANYONE have any ideas? I'm considering putting the FUBAR HD in the freezer to see if I can extract some data from it (I read once that it is supposed to work). Any idea why the SATA one won't work? Anything?!

LaTech
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:57:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wouldn't say the drive is toast. Lots of things could've happened.

If your 40gb drive can be formatted, and an OS installed, try that first. If you can get it up and running, use the SATA as a secondary drive temporarily to clean off files, and connect the MP3 drive to make back-up/make sure it's good. Then once you know you have all the stuff you need off the Raptor, do a reformat/install and see how that works out.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:13:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Eh, but two hard drives with a boot disk failure? That sounds more like a controller failure to me.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:23:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm thinking he was still trying to boot off the SATA, never changed the priorities...

But you are correct, if the 40gb IDE doesn't work, that would lead me to believe it's the controllers. The IDE and SATA use different controllers so both would have to go out, which would make me wonder if there are other issues...
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:29:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No no...I mean, yes, you're right...but the facts aren't right. The SATA is fine. The ATA is bad.

I would understand if it were 2 ATA drives, but as you said, they are on different controllers. I'm going to buy another 80 GB and see if I can clone the bad one (yeah right).

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:34:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Why not use an external USB enclosure for the bad drive, hook it to a different PC, get data off and the nreturn said enclosure with the excuse of "It didn't fit my windows" or something. Laughing
LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:55:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HAHAHA!! I like your style, man! Best buy...here I come! Or should I look to Office Depot?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:31:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

They're all the same: Stupid. Personally, I prefer COmpUSA. The losers there sometimes know the difference between crap and dung.
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:42:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Don't get me started on the "Geek Squad"...

A letter to a soldier
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:35:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

geek squad = Full Moon ....they are all show and no skeelz, i applied at best buy and i am like i will be A+ certified this sumemr...i ahve taken all the computer courses at my school including one that will train me for the A+ certification...and they said i was too young i told them...your loss Laughing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: