Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Folding@Home
Distributed computing project for disease research
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:16:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
Nice!

What is the current Windows SMP client? I only see expired ones. Confused

Jason,
The current SMP client is 6.24, but to get there, you have to install the 6.23 client then down load the drop in binary for 6.24 and "drop it in" the Folding@Home folder to replace the older version of the client. All other files remain the same.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther <------- Page with "high Performance GPU and SMP clients

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.23beta-win32-SMP-mpich.exe <------Link to Windows 6.23 32/64 SMP-MPICH client

Stanford Folding Page wrote:
NOTE: Please use the v6.23 installer package to setup the SMP client. Then download the v6.24 "drop-in" binary below to replace the expired v6.23 client executable. A new installer package with v6.24 will follow shortly.

http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/windows/Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe <------ Link to 6.24 "Drop in" Binary

I quit messing with the Deino Client and have gone back to the MPICH client for simplicity, but the drop in binary is downloaded by clicking on the Microsoft Windows logo under the single line that says "Drop-in binary for current Windows SMP console client (6.24). Expires: July 4, 2010" Not very obvious if you ask me, but the eggheads at Stanford are all about science, not making this system easy for us. I spent some time perusing the folding@home forum recently while getting the -bigadv system up to speed and you'll be happy to know the atmosphere there is just as cold and clinical as ever. Wink

Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:32:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks. Got it running, but I am guessing not properly. Do you have to run with a -smp on that? I just ran it, and I see 25% CPU usage on a quad core Xeon.

I had been running only GPU, but lately I can't use the system without closing out folding because I get serious lag in desktop apps! Laughing

Killed the GPU for now, so I figured I'd try CPU again.

Anyone know how the latest Radeons fold? The 4890 I had was terrible compared to even slower nvidia cards... But now I have a 1GB 5750 and 2x 1GB 5850 cards still in there boxes...
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:13:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason,
Yes you need the -smp flag.

I get the same lag with the gpu client and graphically intensive apps like games. It was easy to train the kids to pause the gpu client, but they still don't seem to be able to remember to re-enable it when they're done.

I've got a 5850 sitting unused in a box at home as well. Didn't get time to install it before I had to leave for work. Last I heard, the new 5000 series cards don't currently show any improvement over the 4800 series cards. I think their production is about the same, but they do manage it with less power. As usual there are rumors of a better client for the ATI cards, but no timeline.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:53:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have the same problem as your kids... I remember to disable it, as you can't do much on the computer with it enabled. Just surfing the web or emailing is painful, forget 3D stuff. But then some days I'll just go to bed, leave for work the next day, and then come home to find it has been off for 20+ hours for no reason... Bang Head

I am cooking with SMP CPU now. Thanks for the tips.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:21:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm having the same issue with hardly any CPU usage on the i7. Hate to waste all that horsepower.
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:29:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

mrweasel wrote:
I'm having the same issue with hardly any CPU usage on the i7. Hate to waste all that horsepower.

Are you running the windows smp client? If so, realize that task manager will only show about %50 usage because the smp client doesn't use the virtual cores, so even though it is using all four physical cores of the i7, window thinks it's still got the 4 virtual cores available. It's not recommended to use hyperthreading for the standard smp client directly, but many people with i7's have had great success running two smp clients via linux and the vmware player. They are then able to take better advantage of the i7's hyperthreading and I've seen people claim 8,000ppd or more with this setup.

Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:28:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wanna try and get my school to help out. But don't know a catchy way of persuading 100+ mixed adults/teens.
Any ideas? email me Grin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:49:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Free candy?
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:52:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

techmatt56 wrote:
I wanna try and get my school to help out. But don't know a catchy way of persuading 100+ mixed adults/teens.
Any ideas? email me Grin

Not sure how you would go about convincing them to get onboard, but if you do manage it, GET IT IN WRITING! There have been several cases where people were sued or prosecuted for misappropriation of computer resources.

The science is why I do it (although the stats help keep it interesting Wink ), but you should know that it represents a not insignificant increase in electrical usage. My current system is pretty mizerly, but at times I've probably had 1kw of consumption strictly from folding nodes (4 quads and gpu's). This adds up to about $90/month in electricity. My current setup uses less than a quarter of that though so I'm content with it at the moment. When you start multiplying this by the number of machines you intend to try and use at your school, it adds up fast. FYI, I pay about $0.13 per kw/hr, which isn't the cheapest, but it's far from the high end also.

Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:56:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
Free candy?

That might help. Grin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 67 of 77

Jump to: