Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Folding@Home
Distributed computing project for disease research
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:10:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
Whoa... Stats say there is 1 month until acruxksa falls from first place on the team! That is some crazy folding thegrub!!! Keep it up... A few more on the team would be nice... Cool

I saw that too. I fired up another folding machine to postpone the inevitable, but I can't hold thegrub off for long. No worries though, we're making a serious run and the top 300 which is cool. We definitely could use more folding participation.

Boo Boo

acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:34:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just can't give up without a fight, Got a dual Xeon LGA 1366 board, a pair of xeon E5520 quad core cpu's and 12gb of DDR3 on the way. Can you say -bigadv work units? Grin
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 22:21:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Last edited by thegrub on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:39:31; edited 2 times in total
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 23:26:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not exactly sure, but everything points to finishing a -bigadv workunit in just over 2 days which is well under the 3 day bonus point cut-off.

There is more to the story than simply boosting my Folding@home output, I currently have a rack with 4 systems in my closet and figure I can replace two of them with this board, boost my F@H output, lower my power consumption and get to play with new hardware all at the same time. I'll be having a fire sale on some used hardware pretty soon Wink

The Nvidia GPU's are definitely the best bang for the buck in F@H production, but I have an overwhelming urge to build a dual cpu machine. It's been nagging at me since I sold my old Abit BP6 w/ dual celeron 300A's oc'd to 500Mhz several years ago. I always regretted selling that board and now seems like a good time to replace it. Grin

One more point of interest, for as small as the BB.com folding team is, we're putting up some very respectable numbers and I would love to see us push deep into the top 300.

Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:41:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Last edited by thegrub on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:39:25; edited 1 time in total
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:44:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thegrub wrote:
acruxksa wrote:
Just can't give up without a fight, Got a dual Xeon LGA 1366 board, a pair of xeon E5520 quad core cpu's and 12gb of DDR3 on the way. Can you say -bigadv work units? Grin

But how fast will it turn over those large jobs? Let us know. or maybe it will be self evident Yikes .

New dual processor system with a pair of Xeon e5520's is chugging along at a respectable pace. It seemed to get off to a rather slow start with the first 3 or 4 percentage points taking about 45minutes each, but has been cruising along at just over 29minutes a percent for the last 8 or 9 with an overall average of just under 35minutes per. This should easily get me in under the 3day limit and qualify for bonus points. It seems that i920's oc'd to above 3.5Ghz should have no trouble making the bonus deadline either, so anyone out there with an i920 running over 3.5Ghz (aren't they all running at like 3.6Ghz - 4+Ghz?) might want to look into the -bigadv units. It does require a full linux install, but you can still run the GPU core's via Wine. Here's a little how to I found http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/tm.asp?m=100935188 for anyone interested in giving it a shot. I skipped the gpu part and went down to setting up -bigadv on my ubuntu-9.10-server-amd64 installation and it works fine. You do need to visit http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey and get your passkey, which apparently can be used with all your folding systems.

The bigadv work units are about 25,000 pts per and if you complete them in less than 3 days you qualify for bonus points which are on a sliding scale based on how fast you turn them in, but in my case should be enough to give me about a 20,000ppd average.

**Should also add that I need to complete 10 bigadv work units before I start receiving bonus's, so that won't be happening for about 4 weeks***

Last edited by acruxksa on Sun, 11 Oct 2009 01:08:47; edited 1 time in total
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:50:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thegrub wrote:
Hey, we have a new folder.
A big welcome to Anerky99!

Yes, WELCOME!! More the merrier and every contribution helps move us up the list of teams. We've come a long way this year from the top 500 to knocking on the door of the top 300.

Boo Boo

thegrub
Rated R

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:44:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Last edited by thegrub on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:39:14; edited 1 time in total
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:32:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

GrinGrin I guess a2's from other systems count, for some reason I was under the impression that they needed to be from the system folding bigadv units.

I wouldn't say you should throttle back, I pretty much shutdown my two other full time folders each with one gpu and one smp client. Currently I'm only running a gpu client part time on my main computer and the dual xeon system folding the bigadv units. I couldn't tell you what it draws, but it's running off a 500w psu and onboard graphics (linux commandline doesn't need a whole lot of gpu power). Each quad has a TDP of 80w + 6 sticks of memory, the motherboard and losses in the psu. 250W is probably pretty close to the ballpark. The 60,000 pts was from one work unit, but don't for get that work unit took about 2.25 days to complete, so it ends up averaging about 27,000 pts per day.

If you keep your system running a bit longer we can break onto the top 300. Perhaps you should look into folding bigadv units with your i920, it would give you similar pts. to me and should cut power consumption significantly when compared to the GPU's. If this is your main computer though, it would be tough to do given the requirement to have linux installed to run bigadv units.

I should also add that I flew down to Bellingham this morning and will be down here for two weeks for work + another week in Ketchikan for training, so my system is pretty much running unattended and anything can happen given how new it is. I think I can talk my wife through the command line procedure to get things going if we lose power or it spontaneously reboots, but who knows. I didn't get time to edit the config and make it start automatically:D

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:30:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nice!

What is the current Windows SMP client? I only see expired ones. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 66 of 77

Jump to: