Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Obama Wants DTV Switch Postponed Until June 12
Change... Just Not So Fast
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djw746
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:18:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wonder if the govt made money on this or not since advertising, employment, and money paid to stations for keeping their analogue signals on for 4 extra months. I would be glad if they broke even at this point...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Grayheart
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:46:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Don't have the exact figure for the cost of 4 extra months, but if you really care so much perhaps you should find it and enlighten us. However, I would bet lunch that it is still a tiny, tiny fraction of what the government received by selling off the wireless spectrum freed up by converting from analog to digital signals - almost $20 Billion!!! So you guys can stop complaining about how much the government spent on the digital tv conversion and start applauding for once the government made money instead of giving trillions to bailout undeserving companies!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/700_Mhz_wireless_spectrum_auction

djw746 wrote:
I wonder if the govt made money on this or not since advertising, employment, and money paid to stations for keeping their analogue signals on for 4 extra months. I would be glad if they broke even at this point...

Last edited by Grayheart on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:04:38; edited 1 time in total
borschtBomber[SS]
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:48:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well seeing as how efficient the government is with our money giving them more doesn't make me feel any better. Guess I'm just pissed at all the wasted money and see these 'coupons' as another.
Grayheart
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:10:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes $1 billion for coupons is a lot of money, but it is only made possible because of the digital conversion and it came out of the almost $20 billion they received from auctioned off the extra spectrum. Think of it this way, if the government did not 'force' a digital conversion, we won't have to spend $1 billion for the coupons, but we also won't received almost $20 billion, so the net is a big fat zero for doing nothing, not to mention still watching crappy black & white TV (j/k) versus getting $16-$17 billion even after paying for all of the expenses for the conversion and watching crystal clear free HD TV, which one would you choose, hmmm.... I wonder $0 + black & white TV or $16 billion and HD TV?

borschtBomber[SS] wrote:
Well seeing as how efficient the government is with our money giving them more doesn't make me feel any better. Guess I'm just pissed at all the wasted money and see these 'coupons' as another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: