Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Obama Wants DTV Switch Postponed Until June 12
Change... Just Not So Fast
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:36:27    Post Subject: Obama Wants DTV Switch Postponed Until June 12 Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
DailyTech reported earlier this month that the Obama transition team isn't too happy with the current state of the analog to digital TV (DTV) switch. The funds made available to provide $40 DTV conversion boxes to Americans ran out at the start of 2009 and many Americans would be left without TV signals once the DTV switch occurs next month.

In the latest saga concerning the DTV switch, Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) has introduced legislation to delay the switch until June 12. Obama and his team fully support this move as they feel that more time is needed to provide additional funding for $40 DTV converter box coupons.

dailytech.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:27:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Its been delayed since 1996 or 2000. Either get it done or dont do it at all.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:33:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's starting to bug me too. Nothing like living in the dark ages so people don't have to replace their 15yr. old energy hogging 300lb TV's.

I've been eagerly awaiting this switch for several years now, get it done already!

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:50:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm just tired of hearing about it and dealing with the postponings. I deal with it on a technical aspect, the first "digital rollout" date was in the mid 1990's, it got postponed to about 2000, then to Feb 2009.

I'm still using my 19" Durabrand Walmart CRT TV, when it dies so will my TV watching days.

Most of those on bunny ears really dont give a crap about TV, otherwise they'd get a dish or catv. Few exceptions to those that cant get CATV and the neighbor wont allow their trees to be whacked so you can aima dish at the south-western sky.

Just throw the switch and get it done.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:55:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Senate Approves DTV Switch Delay

uggh.

June 12th is the new date.
killap4oc
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:24:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I believe his whole intent in delaying the switch is so that the poorer class will be able to afford converter boxes. I know that some of you just want to do away with inefficient CRT TV's but hey I'm still running a CRT monitor and some of us do not exactly want to make an upgrade to an LCD or an HDTV due to cost. While some people find this switch cheap for some of us, the whole point is the nation's economy is falling and it is falling hard. Just because some of us might want us to toss our old televisions and buy something new does not mean the entire country can afford too... However at the same time, yes the switch has been delayed, but it has not been delayed for that much longer.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:06:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

killap4oc wrote:
I believe his whole intent in delaying the switch is so that the poorer class will be able to afford converter boxes. I know that some of you just want to do away with inefficient CRT TV's but hey I'm still running a CRT monitor and some of us do not exactly want to make an upgrade to an LCD or an HDTV due to cost. While some people find this switch cheap for some of us, the whole point is the nation's economy is falling and it is falling hard. Just because some of us might want us to toss our old televisions and buy something new does not mean the entire country can afford too... However at the same time, yes the switch has been delayed, but it has not been delayed for that much longer.

This is why we had to push the date out, people are still uninformed about what is actually changing. This is NOT making everyone switch to HDTVs. It's just how TV is broadcast over the air. It just applies to those who use cable over the air, if they have an older TV (that only converts analog signals) they need a new TV, or a digital converter box).

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq5
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

(TSC)Bender
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:11:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

killap4oc wrote:
I believe his whole intent in delaying the switch is so that the poorer class will be able to afford converter boxes.

I doubt a few more months will help anyone in the lower class to afford converter boxes. Some people can barely afford their daily expenses, let alone anything extra. Although I have quite a few SDTVs at home that still get usage, I probably won't be getting any converter boxes for em.
killap4oc
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:17:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok wrote:
killap4oc wrote:

This is why we had to push the date out, people are still uninformed about what is actually changing. This is NOT making everyone switch to HDTVs. It's just how TV is broadcast over the air. It just applies to those who use cable over the air, if they have an older TV (that only converts analog signals) they need a new TV, or a digital converter box).

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq5

First I want to say I understand that Digital to Analog boxes are available. However take a look at this article...

http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=6&hid=115&sid=b9038112-4776-418a-9b79-5bb39ed6bce5%40sessionmgr108&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=36603004

(TSC)Bender wrote:

I doubt a few more months will help anyone in the lower class to afford converter boxes. Some people can barely afford their daily expenses, let alone anything extra. Although I have quite a few SDTVs at home that still get usage, I probably won't be getting any converter boxes for em.

However while you may not be purchasing a digital converter, 9.6 million of these households are a majority of minorities and lower income households. I understand the want for clarity of TV reception, however isn't this more then unfair and unjust to the lower class, along with these minorities.
x.clay
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:41:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I want to know why the US government needs to be involved in the switch, why the government has passed legislatation requiring the switch, and why my tax dollars are paying for DTV conversion boxes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: