Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Rebooting Computer
WTF Over?
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:30:18    Post Subject: Rebooting Computer Reply with quote View Single Post

OK... now I'm pretty darn good at computers, and finding and fixing problems. This however problem is driving me crazy.

Misty's computer was in an almost constant blue screen mode, and because it was an old Socket-A based system I figured it was just time for a whole new system. So I bought her a new system, new case, new PSU, all internal parts.

Now her system is still blue screening... however it only seems to happen when she get's up from the computer (no seriously). So I was like.. well.. maybe mouse, keyboard or even monitor? They were the only things not brand new.

So now that she has all that brand new, it STILL reboots almost every time she leaves her computer. As a matter of fact it just did it after it did it she came back logged on, went back upstairs and I was watching it. Nothing running, nothing going on and then... Blue Screen.

She can sit there either on the computer, or working on her work laptop right next to it (not using it) for HOURS, and nothing. It's fine. But as soon as she get's up and leaves it seems to blue screen and reboot.

No, really... I'm not making this s#!7 up. At least 9 out of 10 times it will reboot when she leaves the computer. She's got AV (of course), behind a firewall, blah blah blah. All there. Plugged into a power strip, not plugged into a power strip (and my computer is on the same circuit anyways).

WTF... Anyone have any clue, suggestions, know a good priest? Bang Head
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 19:25:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

is it sitting on the carpet? is it really dry in your house? maybe shes somehow shorting it out or something but thats far fetched but the only thing i could think of when she gets up...

see if she touches the case if she gets shocked lol

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 19:31:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, we have low humidity, and therefor dry air (do have a humidifier on the heater though). But I've watched and she doesn't touch anything, so I doubt there is any static electricty.

Also it's generally not as soon as she get's up, it's like 30 sec to 2 min's normally.

And yea... I've looked for scheduled task, power saving settings, etc...
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:25:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Is the hard drive trying to spin down or system going to sleep when it does this?
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:34:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i know this mighgt be dumb, btu the outlets you have it plugged into or the sure protectsers, are the cords gettign compressed when she sits downa nd therefore clostign a short circut? So when she Gets up, the cords lossen and then there is a sort causing a Power failure and a blue screen?

have you tried plugging the computer into a different outlet ina differnt room just to test it out?

*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:34:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Is the hard drive trying to spin down or system going to sleep when it does this?

I was thinking this too. I put in a different HDD and it's still doing it. Also, she could be working for hours on her laptop (she works at home 3 days a week... or so) and not touch her computer and it's fine. But when she get's up... Bad Air

Puddin wrote:
i know this mighgt be dumb, btu the outlets you have it plugged into or the sure protectsers, are the cords gettign compressed when she sits downa nd therefore clostign a short circut? So when she Gets up, the cords lossen and then there is a sort causing a Power failure and a blue screen?

have you tried plugging the computer into a different outlet ina differnt room just to test it out?

Plugged into both an outlet and a surge protector. Didn't make a different. Again, my system is on the same circuit so I doubt it's that.

We've checked the cord (and even replaced it), and it's no where in her path. It goes out the back of her desk, so she can't possibly roll over it or step on it.

I haven't put it on a UPS yet, but I'm going to be doing that this week/weekend.
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:42:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

does it do it when u use the comp?

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 23:34:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

FOX wrote:
does it do it when u use the comp?

Maybe once or twice, but it's not the normal. Even tonight our desk are a few feet apart and we we're talking for 30 or so min's and the computer had the screen saver up (we've changed that). She get's up, walks away and... Bad Air
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 04:02:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No chance someone's playing with you? Like the old drive tray hack, except they would be using the new one that crashes the computer when you specify an out of bounds netmask or something? Anyway, no chance someone is either watching or perhaps she's on IM and they know when she goes AFK? I'm kind of reaching, but it sure sound like a really weird issue and if you had something similar with the old computer................just a thought.
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:49:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Funny... and if it would be anyone, that would be me doing it Grin

But no, no chance. She doesn't even have IM on the system.

I know it sounds strange... but I'm wondering if there is some sort of strange EMI or something? I'm really at a loss here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: