Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Best x58 board?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:22:52    Post Subject: Best x58 board? Reply with quote View Single Post

So now that the i7 is the new leader in core design and speed, we've all these motherboards for them but no clear comparison of who has the best features, compatibility, design, etc.. I have seen quite a few reviews and while I know that picking the 'best' is always a subjective choice, there should be an easier way. Has anyone found that easier way? Some list that compares features, stability, and why one motherboard is better than the other.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:22:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I'm looking at the Gigabyte EX58-UD4P.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:17:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Are you looking for any particular function for this system to be best at? Workstation, gaming, media?

The new boards keep rolling out and its hard to keep up, but Gigabyte does seem to have some good ones. MSI seems to be up there too, and I always like ASUS boards.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:34:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Maybe I should rephrase the question. Basically, with all the statistics that are put out by reviewers for motherboards, why hasn't anyone aggregated these results in to a chart that displays the primary differences and/or benefits that an individual system board provides along with any metrics that may have been gathered, especially when the metrics are based off the same performance tests using the same components for the testing? This could make the choice of a system board much easier than looking at 30 different reviews, trying to decipher a manufacturers codes to determine why they have extreme (how 90s!) vs UD4PXAF, making sure you have the right RAM, and etc..

Personally, since the core is the same across the boards, I should think that the choice is influenced more by the ram type/speed now.
djw746
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:53:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Truly the easiest way to decide the "best" is to simply decide what you want and try to find it. (I suppose, if your innovative enough, you might even come up with something worth a patent.) But if your focus is on i7 gaming but with single graphics card for cheap but still want to OC then gigabyte ud3r might more your style... and so on
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:38:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5. I needed the orange x4 slot for my adaptec 3405. My other PC got an MSI x58 Pro. So far, pretty good results. I haven't finished the build on the gigabyte board yet. I'll post some results when I do.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:56:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd like to know what you think of those two... Both are on my top 5 list, and I need to buy something soon. Have a 6GB kit of 1600MHz DDR3 and i7 920 that have to be going on two months old, still in the boxes!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

anerky99
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 07:03:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Im looking at the Gigabyte UD4P, seems quite good and from what ive read its the step up from the UD5 even though that seems higher or sommat. The UD4P seems to have everything though Smile. Let me know what you think. Smile
Coolermaster HAF 932 II Coolermaster Real Power M1000 II Gigabyte EX58-UD5 II i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz II Corsair H100 CPU Cooler II 24gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz II 2x MSI GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack SLI II Corsair F240 SSD II 2x3Tb Seagate (RAID0) II 1Tb Seagate 7200.12 II 1.5Tb Seagate 7200.11 II Pinoneer BluRay Writer
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:43:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm extremely pleased with my low budget Asus P6T standard, but I don't need all those add on extras that you have to pay a premium for either.
CoolZone
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:49:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I put my money on the DFI LP UT X58
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: