Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Monitors - LCD vs. CRT
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calin7k
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 05:40:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello there.......I also wanted to get a LCD 19'' Incher. Main Reason is that i want to keep my eyes in Peek Shape.S o i do not care Very much if the colours in an LCD are Not as good as on an CRT (the differences are not overwelmingly annoying).
Currently i have an AOC 17'' 7GLR Crt 1600*1200@75 Hz max....But keep it at 1024*768@85Hz. I spend a lot of time in front of my P.C., so i was seriously considering to get an LCD around 350$, because of its zero radiation and zero magnetic characteristics.But after reading http://cloanto.com/users/mcb/19960719lcd.html
not so sure.......This would be a MAJOR Financial effort from my part,so what do you suggest : LCD or sticking to CRT ? Confused Confused Confused Keep in mind my Primary motive is beeing light on my eyes.......
(Sorry for Any spelling errors) Razz

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:00:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you have the desk space, and money is an issuse... I would definitely stick with a CRT. I am glad I got an LCD, but I could be very happy with a CRT too, though.

You need to have a good look at LCDs as they are not all the same, and a cheapo unit may strain your eyes, while a better one won't. I know... I had a MAG Innovision and a Samsung before settling on my Viewsonic, and it was all due to image quality and eye strain.
Judy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:39:29    Post Subject: Re: LCD issues Reply with quote View Single Post

Jamison wrote:
An issue that most people aren't aware of, but in many cases LCD's can be very hard on the eyes. LCD's use flourescent lights for their backlights. This means that even though the screen doesn't refresh, the lighting behind the screen is refreshing at 100+Hz. If you are someone who is bothered by flourscent lights, then an LCD might bug you.

I've found that I've only been able to use laptops that use very very high quality screens and controlled backlighting without getting headaces and such.

If anyone is interested google the term 'LCD Display Discomfort' and you'll see stuff about it.

Uh, actually, the issue is more complex than the 'LCD Discomfort' site maintains. True that fluoresence is a large part of it, and from what I gather from feedback, old-fashioned IBM thinkpads with dim lighting is a good idea for sensitive people like us (as well as LCDs with at most 2CCFL rather than three).

But the issue is more complex, similar to the tale of the blind men who are each touching a different part of an elephant and thus jumping to different conclusions.

I created a site plus computer-pain-survey
(see: http://www.freewebs.com/eclectives/monitorpain.htm)
which covers the myriad issues including grass-roots links.

and here's a relevant excerpt:

Quote:
Some people find Dell tolerable. Yet others do not. I know of three separate people whose photosensitivity issues were resolved by IBM Thinkpad laptops, all of which were no larger than 14" viewing area. This, however, does NOT make either laptops or smaller screens foolproof (read on for further detail). In my opinion, all the contradictory info is due to several factors:

Toxified Level & Type Factor - different levels and types of peoples' toxicity, such as chemicals, metals, radiation, other. Is chemical sensitivity more common than EMF sensitivity? Maybe...

Genetics & Body Parts Factor - some bodies have poorer detox mechanisms, and some body parts are more compromised than other body parts. Thus, different manifestations such as red skin, headaches, eye pain... And even: Tooth pain, sore throat, bleeding, nosebleeds, speedy metabolism/heartbeat, sleep loss, hair loss, or a single burnt hair sprouting in an odd spot.

Harm Level & Exposure Factor - CRTs/LCDs/Laptops/TVs as well as cellphones/cars/windows/other have different harm levels depending upon construction, number of CCFLs, brightness, and degree of outgassing, and it goes without the saying that harm levels also depend upon monitor-owner's toxicity level and degree of exposure to same.

P.S. Anyone with computer health issues may also find it interesting to check out the Nutrienergetics (NES) website. NES evolved via 25 years painstaking research by Dr.Fraser, an Australian physicist and TCM practitioner whose work is predicated on the idea of Quantum Entanglement and Body Fields as the Master Control System. In recent years, a mathematician in partnership with Dr.Fraser created a sophisticated computer program capable, via an unfolding process, to unfold patients' worst health issues in the proper order necessary for attaining health.
Or so they claim.
Also linked to that site is a printable online book, as well as interactive tour.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:34:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Welcome Judy... Glad we finally got your registration cleared up... Laughing
Judy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:38:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Uh, see, it's just that I had an itsy-bitsy something to say, so I said it. But that about sums up my repertoire Laughing

Nice board! Cool
DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 18:11:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
Go to ANY web design dept, animation studio, CAD dept and count up the CRT's vs. LCDs. let me know what you find.

Reason : CRTs have an infinite amount of colors AND displays more lifelike colors.

Problem with CRTs:
If you set it too bright at start(Contrast and Brightness at max), it's lifespan will be much shorter, because you're burning it. Lower it and it should last 30 years if not more.
There are a couple of pounds of lead to stop the X-Ray emissions(There ARE some) -> Don't throw old monitors and TVs in the garbage can. (Same with your LCDs)

With LCDs:
Dead pixels : Not very eco-friendly, when a pixel is dead, you throw out a whole screen. You save money on electricity.
The backlight can fade out if used too much, but the tubes can be easily changed.
arr2036
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:39:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I recently brought Viewsonic VP930 after reading a review on tom’s hardware.

It's now currently sitting next to by Samsung 955B CRT which is coming up to it’s forth birthday.

So brand new £300 LCD VS Four year old £200 CRT.

Colors
LCD wins hands down, far far far more vibrant and pure.
However....

White Purity - CRT wins no problem, white on my CRT is paper white. White on the LCD is off-white very slightly yellowy due to the impure backlight
Black Purity - Black on my LCD is as black as the night itself, black on the CRT is unsurprisingly dark/medium gray but what do you expect after four years.

Flickering - CRT is slightly flickery, it's running at 75 Hz, LCD is obviously fine.

Sharpness - EVEN! I can pick out just as much detail on my ageing CRT as I can on the LCD, plus it doesn't add ugly frills to icons.

Heat - About even as well: S not what I expected, LCD is slightly cooler.

Evenness of lighting - Vp930 has an X shape to the backlight, whilst not noticeable in normal use; it's annoying in very dark games. CRT is obviously fine.

Deformations - LCD has a big fat pink pixel; Viewsonic weren’t going to replace it at first because they said it was a sub pixel. I was so pissed off. So I rang back (they hadn't taken any of my details) and said I had multiple dead pixels, they agreed to replace the monitor.. By the time they get it back I’ll have the new one Smile and cos they didn't have any vp930's in stock they are going to send me the 20" which according to most reports has had the backlight fixed.

So if you have Viewsonic with a dead sub pixel and they're offering a straight swap service, LIE, you'll get a new monitor and possibly even an upgrade Smile

I mean after paying £300 $500 for an LCD I want it to be completely defect free, I mean WTF.

Conclusion

I still think CRT's win in terms of quality, the colors are less vibrant on my CRT but on a good quality new CRT the colors are far better than an LCD.

Just LCDs look so damn cool, and are far better for multiscreen setups, they also use less power and have far longer lives.

If your a designer, take a long hard look at the LCD your planning to buy next to a good CRT and see if you can live with it. For me the White Purity is the thing that really lets the current LCD's down .

If your a gamer, go for it, New good quality LCDs have good enough response times for you not to notice.

In the end I think the best solution for deisgners would be to have one CRT as their primary and an LCD as their secondary, this gives you lots of desktop space Both virtual and physical and also the colour accuracy of a CRT.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: