Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Monitors - LCD vs. CRT 
arr2036
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:39:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote

I recently brought Viewsonic VP930 after reading a review on tom’s hardware.

It's now currently sitting next to by Samsung 955B CRT which is coming up to it’s forth birthday.

So brand new £300 LCD VS Four year old £200 CRT.

Colors
LCD wins hands down, far far far more vibrant and pure.
However....

White Purity - CRT wins no problem, white on my CRT is paper white. White on the LCD is off-white very slightly yellowy due to the impure backlight
Black Purity - Black on my LCD is as black as the night itself, black on the CRT is unsurprisingly dark/medium gray but what do you expect after four years.

Flickering - CRT is slightly flickery, it's running at 75 Hz, LCD is obviously fine.

Sharpness - EVEN! I can pick out just as much detail on my ageing CRT as I can on the LCD, plus it doesn't add ugly frills to icons.

Heat - About even as well: S not what I expected, LCD is slightly cooler.

Evenness of lighting - Vp930 has an X shape to the backlight, whilst not noticeable in normal use; it's annoying in very dark games. CRT is obviously fine.

Deformations - LCD has a big fat pink pixel; Viewsonic weren’t going to replace it at first because they said it was a sub pixel. I was so pissed off. So I rang back (they hadn't taken any of my details) and said I had multiple dead pixels, they agreed to replace the monitor.. By the time they get it back I’ll have the new one Smile and cos they didn't have any vp930's in stock they are going to send me the 20" which according to most reports has had the backlight fixed.

So if you have Viewsonic with a dead sub pixel and they're offering a straight swap service, LIE, you'll get a new monitor and possibly even an upgrade Smile

I mean after paying £300 $500 for an LCD I want it to be completely defect free, I mean WTF.

Conclusion

I still think CRT's win in terms of quality, the colors are less vibrant on my CRT but on a good quality new CRT the colors are far better than an LCD.

Just LCDs look so damn cool, and are far better for multiscreen setups, they also use less power and have far longer lives.

If your a designer, take a long hard look at the LCD your planning to buy next to a good CRT and see if you can live with it. For me the White Purity is the thing that really lets the current LCD's down .

If your a gamer, go for it, New good quality LCDs have good enough response times for you not to notice.

In the end I think the best solution for deisgners would be to have one CRT as their primary and an LCD as their secondary, this gives you lots of desktop space Both virtual and physical and also the colour accuracy of a CRT.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved