Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Monitors - LCD vs. CRT 
Judy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:39:29    Post Subject: Re: LCD issues Reply with quote

Jamison wrote:
An issue that most people aren't aware of, but in many cases LCD's can be very hard on the eyes. LCD's use flourescent lights for their backlights. This means that even though the screen doesn't refresh, the lighting behind the screen is refreshing at 100+Hz. If you are someone who is bothered by flourscent lights, then an LCD might bug you.

I've found that I've only been able to use laptops that use very very high quality screens and controlled backlighting without getting headaces and such.

If anyone is interested google the term 'LCD Display Discomfort' and you'll see stuff about it.

Uh, actually, the issue is more complex than the 'LCD Discomfort' site maintains. True that fluoresence is a large part of it, and from what I gather from feedback, old-fashioned IBM thinkpads with dim lighting is a good idea for sensitive people like us (as well as LCDs with at most 2CCFL rather than three).

But the issue is more complex, similar to the tale of the blind men who are each touching a different part of an elephant and thus jumping to different conclusions.

I created a site plus computer-pain-survey
(see: http://www.freewebs.com/eclectives/monitorpain.htm)
which covers the myriad issues including grass-roots links.

and here's a relevant excerpt:

Quote:
Some people find Dell tolerable. Yet others do not. I know of three separate people whose photosensitivity issues were resolved by IBM Thinkpad laptops, all of which were no larger than 14" viewing area. This, however, does NOT make either laptops or smaller screens foolproof (read on for further detail). In my opinion, all the contradictory info is due to several factors:

Toxified Level & Type Factor - different levels and types of peoples' toxicity, such as chemicals, metals, radiation, other. Is chemical sensitivity more common than EMF sensitivity? Maybe...

Genetics & Body Parts Factor - some bodies have poorer detox mechanisms, and some body parts are more compromised than other body parts. Thus, different manifestations such as red skin, headaches, eye pain... And even: Tooth pain, sore throat, bleeding, nosebleeds, speedy metabolism/heartbeat, sleep loss, hair loss, or a single burnt hair sprouting in an odd spot.

Harm Level & Exposure Factor - CRTs/LCDs/Laptops/TVs as well as cellphones/cars/windows/other have different harm levels depending upon construction, number of CCFLs, brightness, and degree of outgassing, and it goes without the saying that harm levels also depend upon monitor-owner's toxicity level and degree of exposure to same.

P.S. Anyone with computer health issues may also find it interesting to check out the Nutrienergetics (NES) website. NES evolved via 25 years painstaking research by Dr.Fraser, an Australian physicist and TCM practitioner whose work is predicated on the idea of Quantum Entanglement and Body Fields as the Master Control System. In recent years, a mathematician in partnership with Dr.Fraser created a sophisticated computer program capable, via an unfolding process, to unfold patients' worst health issues in the proper order necessary for attaining health.
Or so they claim.
Also linked to that site is a printable online book, as well as interactive tour.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved