Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
VOIP for Professionals (or...those closely resembling them)
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:07:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-Shirt... just in case you don't know... I actually work on 9-1-1. Also VoIP and 5 9's isn't possible. And VoIP 9-1-1 I don't even think 2 9's are realistic.

I wish I could tell you why, and go into details, but I can't. Look up "911 provider" on google, click on the 1st link and you can figure out who I work for (You'll have to dig a little but it's in there).

So... tust me... I'm not over the deep end. 9-1-1 VoIP is not something I would ever risk mine, or my families life on. It COULD be, but it's not, nor will it probably ever be.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:10:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This is what we have: T1 with another connection between our office here and one 2 hours away (or that's how it was explained to me...). Now, if I'm understanding what I'm reading, the T1 isn't going to be enough considering we would be routing all the remote traffic through our building on top of the existing network traffic (which is substantial...we throw around HUGE files all day long in house and to our other building). Looking at it that way, we aren't going to have anywhere near enough bandwidth...unless we added another dedicated T1 just for phones (right?). The fax machine thing and the 911 are major concerns considering the amount of faxing that does happen here.

Time to do a pro con list and see what I can decided. Upgrading the existing PBX might be a MUCH better idea.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:22:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LaTech, you can implement QoS (if your routers support it that is) and you can give higher priority to the SIP & RTP traffic, so the quality of the voice calls are good. However, it will make your file transfers a lot slower.

Faxes, are... maybe's. We at home send faxed over our VoIP line (it's not business critical, and it's "free" so we do it).

I do believe that their are VoIP solutions that you can send LD over the VoIP and local over land lines. Which might be a better option. Unfortunately I am not a VoIP PBX expert, and have limited professional VoIP experience outside the 9-1-1 world.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:27:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

not gonna tell ya how to your job.. ..just a suggestion though, provide them realistic costs to VOIP and PBX alternatives - but also give them the costs of bandwidth requirements for that many VOIP lines.

what kind of circuit is that T1? fractional voice/IP? full IP? or 24 voice channels?

With absolute lowest quality settings for 50% of lines available in use, 3Mb might do it.. I'd lean toward 4.5Mb though..
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:08:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's a bandwidth Calc for you

http://www.bandcalc.com/
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:14:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

70 lines = 5600kbps.. I dont think I was far off in my guestimate.

....and why haven't you offered that linky before???

Smile
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:26:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing I dunno.

But you don't need to plan for 70 lines, probably. You'd actually have to ask them. How many lines do they currently have? I bet you it's maybe 10.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:57:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
LaTech, you can implement QoS (if your routers support it that is) and you can give higher priority to the SIP & RTP traffic, so the quality of the voice calls are good. However, it will make your file transfers a lot slower.

Faxes, are... maybe's. We at home send faxed over our VoIP line (it's not business critical, and it's "free" so we do it).

I do believe that their are VoIP solutions that you can send LD over the VoIP and local over land lines. Which might be a better option. Unfortunately I am not a VoIP PBX expert, and have limited professional VoIP experience outside the 9-1-1 world.

That's kinda what I was pointing to, lots of hardware can do that, the work is programming/maintaining the rules and routes for each class of call.
I knew Faxes in and out are the life blood of a law office right after client calls and billable hours and there are commercial IP solutions (not via the VoIP) for fax's, leave the data as data, the only consideration is allowing adequate bandwidth for quality voice and sorting/routing calls either to the local PSTN network or out as VoIP.
Is the T-1 the only internet/broadband option?
Is there a reason outside phone calls need to be passed via the t-1 and the other office?
Is a majority of the voice traffic between the 2 offices?
ie A good PBX should be able to route office to office calls via the T-1, other outside/LD calls via a local broadband link, and local/911 calls to the local pstn automatically (according to programmed rules) and failover as directed(more rules) even selective forwarding.

a couple consideration are voiced here
VoIP Systems Increase Network Support Burdens

Voice-over-IP systems are proving to be more complex to manage and support than many IT managers expected, a development that is driving increased demand for outside support services.
http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/683473/7182271/26168/0/

and having a third party responsible for planning, installation and maintainance may be more cost effective.

InfoTech Report - Strategies for IP Telephony Evaluation and Migration

InfoTech conducted in-depth interviews with three enterprises regarding their IP telephony deployments. These enterprises span financial services, education, and professional services markets. Read this report to identify migration strategies and see candid insights from companies that have deployed VoIP solutions.

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/683473/7182271/26170/0/
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:29:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
T-Shirt... just in case you don't know... I actually work on 9-1-1. Also VoIP and 5 9's isn't possible. And VoIP 9-1-1 I don't even think 2 9's are realistic.

I wish I could tell you why, and go into details, but I can't. Look up "911 provider" on google, click on the 1st link and you can figure out who I work for (You'll have to dig a little but it's in there).

So... tust me... I'm not over the deep end. 9-1-1 VoIP is not something I would ever risk mine, or my families life on. It COULD be, but it's not, nor will it probably ever be.

Oh yeah EC I know where you work, where you live, even the color of your panties Laughing (btw it's NOT wednesday yet, try to keep them in order)
AND I definately agree MOST current VoIP is not ready to replace pots, 911 being just one part of the reliablity picture.
For my home/office I have the pots line as line 1 (phone defaults to line one) for inbound and emergency calls and line 2 for outbound calls.
The VoIP provider (still in beta, can't say who) does provide very reliable service and has their own 911 center.
evey month I am required to verify my location before I can dial out.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:50:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

There are some advances in VoIP 911 coming, and they are an improvement, but while they are better on the location stuff, the back end (and the fact it's going over the Internet) is the problem.

(And I changed the order... I liked the Wednesday ones... A LOT!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: