Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: VOIP for Professionals (or...those closely resembling them) 
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:57:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
LaTech, you can implement QoS (if your routers support it that is) and you can give higher priority to the SIP & RTP traffic, so the quality of the voice calls are good. However, it will make your file transfers a lot slower.

Faxes, are... maybe's. We at home send faxed over our VoIP line (it's not business critical, and it's "free" so we do it).

I do believe that their are VoIP solutions that you can send LD over the VoIP and local over land lines. Which might be a better option. Unfortunately I am not a VoIP PBX expert, and have limited professional VoIP experience outside the 9-1-1 world.

That's kinda what I was pointing to, lots of hardware can do that, the work is programming/maintaining the rules and routes for each class of call.
I knew Faxes in and out are the life blood of a law office right after client calls and billable hours and there are commercial IP solutions (not via the VoIP) for fax's, leave the data as data, the only consideration is allowing adequate bandwidth for quality voice and sorting/routing calls either to the local PSTN network or out as VoIP.
Is the T-1 the only internet/broadband option?
Is there a reason outside phone calls need to be passed via the t-1 and the other office?
Is a majority of the voice traffic between the 2 offices?
ie A good PBX should be able to route office to office calls via the T-1, other outside/LD calls via a local broadband link, and local/911 calls to the local pstn automatically (according to programmed rules) and failover as directed(more rules) even selective forwarding.

a couple consideration are voiced here
VoIP Systems Increase Network Support Burdens

Voice-over-IP systems are proving to be more complex to manage and support than many IT managers expected, a development that is driving increased demand for outside support services.
http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/683473/7182271/26168/0/

and having a third party responsible for planning, installation and maintainance may be more cost effective.

InfoTech Report - Strategies for IP Telephony Evaluation and Migration

InfoTech conducted in-depth interviews with three enterprises regarding their IP telephony deployments. These enterprises span financial services, education, and professional services markets. Read this report to identify migration strategies and see candid insights from companies that have deployed VoIP solutions.

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/683473/7182271/26170/0/

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved