Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Need help with monitor, Media center & video options
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 21 May 2006 21:49:58    Post Subject: Need help with monitor, Media center & video options Reply with quote View Single Post

I am looking at gettign a new Dell notebook:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=E1705S2&s=dhs

However I am really not sure abotu the differences between monitors, Media center & video options.

1) What is the difference between a Remote Control for Windows XP Media Center Edition and a TV Tuner w/ Remote Control?

- What do you need for the TV tuner to work? How do you hook it up and how does it work? Can you use the remote that comes with the TV tuner to control DVD playback and music o nthe computer?

2) What is the real difference between a 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display and a 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™?

3) And if I am not gaming what shoudl I get in terms of a video card:

- Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 [Included in Price]

- 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory [add $116 or $3/month2]

- 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 7800 [add $155 or $4/month2]
Powerful graphics for games and other multimedia applications

- 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS [add $272 or $8/month2]

4) Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal(2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
With Bluetooth you can link wirelessly to Bluetooth devices like headphones, mice and more.

- What the heck can I really do with bluetooth capability?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:05:56    Post Subject: Re: Need help with monitor, Media center & video options Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
1) What is the difference between a Remote Control for Windows XP Media Center Edition and a TV Tuner w/ Remote Control?

- What do you need for the TV tuner to work? How do you hook it up and how does it work? Can you use the remote that comes with the TV tuner to control DVD playback and music o nthe computer?

To watch TV. Hook it up like you would any TV system. Most likely.

Quote:

2) What is the real difference between a 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display and a 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™?

Higher resolution (on the UXGA).

Quote:

3) And if I am not gaming what shoudl I get in terms of a video card:

- Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 [Included in Price]

- 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory [add $116 or $3/month2]

- 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 7800 [add $155 or $4/month2]
Powerful graphics for games and other multimedia applications

- 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS [add $272 or $8/month2]

If the X1400 includes at least 128MB of on board memory (I think it does) I'd get that. If not the 7800, you don't want one that takes memory from the system (as the first one does, and HyperMemory does too).

Quote:

4) Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal(2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
With Bluetooth you can link wirelessly to Bluetooth devices like headphones, mice and more.

- What the heck can I really do with bluetooth capability?

Headphones, mice, keyboards, peer-to-peer networking (if you like pain).
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:33:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Some remotes are exclusively for the TV tuner built in. The multimedia remotes are really pretty cool... They will generally control the TV, but also will launch desktop applications and work like a mouse.
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:52:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What does blue tooth really do? I don't understand it al all so I need the 6 year old explanation.

If I get the TV tuner then I am stuck wit hthe TV remote and might not have the ability to access anyhting other than the TV functions. However if I get the media center package with remote then I will not have the TV tuner options right? So which one shoudl I get? Also would I need extra stuff to connect to the TV or does your TV cable jsut connect to a port on the computer?
stratus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:14:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd definitely go with the 7900GS if you have the extra cash, especially if you play FEAR or Battlefield2. I'd also try and get at least 2GB of RAM because most games coming out are very memory dependent.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:36:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

jasno999 wrote:
What does blue tooth really do? I don't understand it al all so I need the 6 year old explanation.

If I get the TV tuner then I am stuck wit hthe TV remote and might not have the ability to access anyhting other than the TV functions. However if I get the media center package with remote then I will not have the TV tuner options right? So which one shoudl I get? Also would I need extra stuff to connect to the TV or does your TV cable jsut connect to a port on the computer?

The Media Center remote would allow you to control anything within Media Center. MP3, Videos, Movies, Pictures, etc. even if you do not have a tv tuner (which the laptop does not come with).

The TV Tuner is necessary if you want to use Media Center to it's fullest, watching TV, scheduling recordings (DVR type function) etc.

If you get the Media Center remote, you would need to buy a TV Tuner card down the road if you wanted those functions. Many of the modern TV tuners are compatible with Media Center, so the remote you have from Media Center would work.

HOWEVER, if the tv tuner was not compaitble, you woudl either control it by the mouse, or it's remtoe (which might not be compatible with Media Center), and it's software.

My recommenation would be to get the remote for $23 vs buying it separately for $75 (at least that's the cost of the MS Media Center remote). Then if you decide you want the TV tuner functions, buy a usb or pcmcia tv tuner.

As for the video card, if you can afford it, get the 7900GS. The 7900GS I bought has 256 on board, and can use 256 of your memory to make it a 512mb video card. Not sure how well that works if you only have 1gb ram though, but I would imagine there's a way to turn that function off. Also, the 7900GS does perform slightly better than my 7800GT in EQ2 (which is a MAJOR resource hog).
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:11:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks.

I will not be using the notebook for gaming. I am not a gamer but I also don't want a crappy system. I want to be able to use the notebook for a few years and be able to do things with it that I might not see right now....

So it is best to get the media center remote and get the TV tuner down the raod if needed. That sounds good - then I don't buy somethign that I am nto nessassaraly goign to use. But if I want ti later I can add it on. I woudl get the TV tuner and reote if I knew it was goign to work with the media center in terms of remote control. But since there is unceartainity I will go safe

Thanks
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:27:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm sure Dell will not sell you a TV Tuner/remote that does not work with media center. That would be stupid.

Since you don't play heavy games on the laptop, I'd go with the 7800 and save yourself some money.
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:51:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah well dell is offerign a 22% disscoutn and I get a 16% on top of that because my company has a deal with Dell so I can get some of the better stuf and still get a good deal.

Thanks again
stratus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:57:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd go with the better stuff so you can "future proof" the system a little more. Let us know what you actually end up buying. =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: