Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Need help selectign a laptop - Dell/Gateway/Other?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:43:18    Post Subject: Need help selectign a laptop - Dell/Gateway/Other? Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok first let me tell you what I want to do with with this computer and my reasons for getting it.

My old hodgepodge desktop is just old and beaten up. Still running but slower and not as well as it has in the past. I wanted to get a new one but thought hey maybe a laptop might be more useful for my needs

What I would use it to do:

- I would definitely be using I-Tunes and my I-pod on this laptop/notebook - I have a nice sized library so I would be downloading/playing/storing songs and video files.
- I would also do a little converting to get some of my personal video files into a format compatible wit the IPOD.
- I also do some small changes/touch-ups to photos. I would also like to keep an all my photos on this computer. I don't get into serious editing but would like to have the opportunity to do a little more than red-eye reduction in the future.
- I would also use the laptop to surf the internet and download programs, information or whatever - Lots of surfing and I want to do it via a wireless connection

I was looking at Dell cause I get a nice rebate but I also saw Gateway had some nice computers. The two I was looking at were the Dell E1505 & Gateway CX200. I don't know anything about tablet PCs and how they work or how easy/difficult they are to use. The whole concept of the tablet PC on the Gateway CX200 just seems really interesting to me. But since I would be doing a lot of web surfing I would need the tablet mode to be easy to use for internet surfing.

Tell me what you think about these two computers? Also tell me what you would suggest. Even tell me about other laptops out there that I should look at.

(What I did notice was that I could get a mid-level Dell E1505 and a bottom of the line Dell desktop for the same price as a mid-level Gateway CX200.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 12:50:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What no MacBook?

Oh wait, I'm biased. I'd take the Dell....lesser of 2 evils.

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:26:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Tablet PCs might not be the best bet for a desktop replacement... or even notebook replacement. I think I would grow weary of one quickly. They may be cool for limited applications, but trying to do some serious work (or play) might get frustrating.

Of the brands you mentioned, I would also go with Dell. They seem to have the best deals and the best reputation right now. HP and Gateway have definitely slipped.

As for finding the best price, keep an eye on places like www.slickdeals.net for a few days... There is always some new promo being listed there. Amazing what you can save by using the coupons they post!

Any modern PC from these manufacturers will handle what you want to do, but you may need (or want to consider) third party software. IE, some may come with photo editting software, but it probably isn't the best. So, you'll have the horsepower to do it with a Dell E1505, but you may want to find a few more applications to install. I think someone I know just got a E1505, and likes it... Dual core processor, 1GB memory, and all kinds of other goodies for $600 something (I think).
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:09:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

But why would a tablet type PC such as the gateway CX200 nto be able to keep up? I mean if I wanted to use it for the web, e-mail, some photo editing & storage, music downolad, storage and IPOD stuff -would it not work for doign that?

Other than that I think the most I would do computing wise is basically use some Microsoft Word maybe excel or somethign like that. I would never be using a CAd program on it and I am not into online gaming. Might use it to watch a DVD but other that the stuff I mentioned above would be it.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:30:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ahh... I didn't look at the CX200 at first, but assumed it was a typical tablet. That is more like a notebook to me... or as they call it "convertible notebook".

I was picturing just a touch screen and a stylus.

Does loook like you are paying alot more than a better spec'ed Dell... Perhaps in part for the "convertible" features. Do you need the monitor to spin around? A touchscreen?
thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:31:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

mrweasel wrote:
What no MacBook?

Oh wait, I'm biased. I'd take the Dell....lesser of 2 evils.

The new Macbooks are freakin sweet. I'll have one as soon as I sell off my old iBook, hopefully in about a month. My core duo mini will be here this Fri.

Biased... Wink

jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:13:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Exactly. Do I really need those things??? I don't know. I really like the idea of being able to jot stuff down on the screen but more so I like the idea of being able to surf the internet with the keyboard closed up and just use a stylus to navigate. However the more I think about it the more I realize that I would probably need the keyboard for typing anyway.

So then the last reason would be that it is cool and would be nice if I ever wanted to watch a DVD on it. Besides being cool I guess it may not be worth it. But when I do look at dells even with my 16% discount I get via work when I spec a E1505 with say 80-10GB hard drive, 512MB Ram, A CD/DVD burner I still end up coming out in the $800-900 range. So we are talking about a $100-200 difference between that and the Gateway. However the Gateway has a Celeron and the Dell has duo. To get a Pentium in the gateway it would be an extra $300+

So if I was to go with a Dell what would you suggest I get?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:45:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here's a pretty good laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220070

It's not customizable but good price and not bad specs, either. Has everything you mentioned, too - DVD, USB for the Ipod, WiFi, and so on. You may want to upgrade the harddrive for more size and speed, but not necessary if you don't need it (see BB's review on a good 2.5" drive here: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/review.php?item=momentus160&file=1 )

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:13:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

E1505 with the Duo.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:07:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What is your price range?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: