Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Cooling the Pentium D
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 04:16:03    Post Subject: Re: Cooling the Pentium D Reply with quote View Single Post

420666 wrote:

Alright I have about the same system....same mb and same cpu. I have 2GB of ram and a XL800 512MB card with 2 WD SATA2 250GB HD's. When my room is cold the cpu temp is 112F (idle). When I play BF2 its 163F-165F. Already that is pretty hot, but when I tried encoding a DVD with DVD Shrink I caught it at 191F. Anyways shink has been the only program able to do this....When I watched it the 4 cpus in task manager were close to 100%. Anyways I have the stock heatsink on there now and want to get a new one.....I was looking at the Arctic Cooling - Freezer 7 Pro, but is there a best heatsink for the pentium D? Obviously I may have installed the stock heatsink wrong and am going to check it out, but I want to know if anybody else has used this CPU with DVD Shrink and noticed extremely high temps while encoding. No other program has come close to maxing out the cpus like it does. Oh and I also used crappy Windows XP X64 lol, my room is hot most the time too....75-80. My alternitive would be getting a top end liquid cooling system like the RESERATOR 1 Plus, but is that going to make a huge differnce vs a nice heatsink?

I went with a Big Thermaltake Typhoon - CL-P0114

When I played BF2 before it ran at about 165F (73.8C) and now it runs at 130F (54.4C)....idle temp dropped about 10 or 15 F too. I want to try DVD shrink since that made it hit 191F (88.3C) before, but I am using a 2nd computer as a dedicated dvd burner so I cant test it and dont got the drive in here anymore...oh well.....it works great. O and I used Arctic Silver 5 incase anybody is wondering.

-Sam
Berkeley Web Design
www.berkeleywebdesign.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

tomato
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:33:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Geez, reading about all these hot P4 D chips makes me wonder if I should use a water cooling kit when I install my P4 830 D....? Any thoughts?
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:49:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't know if you need to go that far. BB seems to be doing fine with the same chips as mine, but I still don't know how.

I heard that the later cores in the Pentium Ds (.65nm; 9XX series) runs cooler, however can't confirm that.

Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:33:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

This Big Thermaltake Typhoon - CL-P0114 kicks a$$ and I recall the load temp on the intel site being 161 or 163F. I cant get it to get over 141F. When I play BF2 it is around 132F. I think getting some type of heatpipe will be enough rather that going all out and getting liquid cooling
alilxmas
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:19:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

A friend was havign the same problem, but basically I suggested a few thigns and his temps dropped from idle 40-42, load 62-65

Basically he replaced the stock heatsink for the XP-120, I know this thing is a monster, but it just works so great with a decent 120mm fan on it. And not as heavy as it looks, nice and solid feel when attatched. Havent seen the SI-120 yet so I can't comment on that version.
There is an option to use it on a LGA775 socket.

The other thing was to turn the heatsink 90 degrees if possiable, and have that back fan blowing IN so that the cooler air from the outside was blowing inbetween the fins of the heatsink. between the air being ddirectly from the outside and also the larger heatsink and 120 fax, his temps dropped alot. even surprized me they are now 28-32 idle, load 38-41, actually I have never seen it go over 40 and watched the machine under load for over half an hour. he lives in one of those houses where it is usually 70-80 degrees as well.

Have you thought about getting a sererate temp measuring device? Or trying other temp monitoring thigns like MBM?

Good luck and keep us posted when you have a final solution that works.SI-120

ATI RADEON 9800 XT 256MB
Monitor NEC Multisync FE2111sb
ASUS P4C800-XT
INTEL P4 3.2MZ
HARD DRIVES (2) Western Digitial 200GB
RAM DDR 4GB
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:09:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What method is best to get temps from the chips? Currently, I'm using the onboard Winbind sensor chip, accessed via lm_sensors and watch it on my desktop on GKrellM2.

What are the advantages of a seperate temp monitoring solution?

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:19:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Motherboard sensors aren't always that accurate, so sometimes getting a thermal sensor with a digital display gets more accurate results. But, you then have to affix the sensor as close to the CPU as possible... Generally on the base of the heatsink just out of the way of where it will contact the processor.

Next time I take one of my D840 systems apart I will get a thermal sensor on there to tell you how close it is to the motherboard's sensor.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

tomato
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:20:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm going to use a Hyper 6+ that was given to me to cool my CPU, rather than water cooling... I'm not that confident about having that much liquid in my computer.... so I will go with the traditional air flow solution Wink
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Fri, 19 May 2006 22:03:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

bbmf wrote:
np
it obviously happens to the best of us...
you being the prime example...

Laughing BB is the best of us. Aw shucks.

staraxan
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 21 May 2006 03:25:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Motherboard sensors aren't always that accurate, so sometimes getting a thermal sensor with a digital display gets more accurate results. But, you then have to affix the sensor as close to the CPU as possible... Generally on the base of the heatsink just out of the way of where it will contact the processor.

I actually installed an external temperature sensor, and it reads nearly identically to the motherboard sensors. I was surprised. Almost always the readings are identical, and at worst they are different by 1 degree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: