Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Cooling the Pentium D
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbmf
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:12:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess so...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:26:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

bbmf wrote:
I guess so...

Confused
bbmf
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:31:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I’m sorry, I wrote a detail description of how this issue might be addressed and it got lost in some kind of server glitch. I didn’t save it and am loath to rewrite.

everything working fine now
won't do that again...
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:42:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh, OK.

Sorry... I am having DNS issues (my own fault) tonight!
bbmf
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:44:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

np
it obviously happens to the best of us...
you being the prime example...
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 02:40:49    Post Subject: Re: Cooling the Pentium D Reply with quote View Single Post

Blue|Fusion wrote:
Hi,

First off let me say I'm new to the forums, but not new to the site (always keep up with the reviews). Now that that's out of the way...I've just recently built my very first DIY PC. I've been running it about two weeks now and no noticeable problems thus far.

With that said, ASUS' AiBooster program reports the CPU at a balmy 43-44C when idle and up to around 60-62C when playing BF2 or COD2. The ambient temperature is reported at 33C most of the time when idle (and room temp is a chilly 20-21C when I can (not summer Sad )). Under load in the same conditions, the ambient temp gets up to about 40C.

I have a Thermaltake Armor case w/ 2 120mm intake fans, a 120mm and 90mm fan on the back, another 90mm fan on the top, and the psu (3 fans) drawing out the exhaust. The CPU heatsink is the thermaltake Big Typhoon, and CPU is the Pentium D 840 at standard (3.2GHz) speed.

I thought these temps were a bit high, however some said that since this is a dual core (and a pentium) it's bound to be hotter. Are these temps reasonable? I was looking at the Thermaltake Blue Orb II (if it'll fit on the P5WD2 Premium mobo), but want your opinions before I do. Are the temps too high? Any suggestions to get them down some more without going to water cooling?

Thanks for any replies. It's greatly appreciated.

Alright I have about the same system....same mb and same cpu. I have 2GB of ram and a XL800 512MB card with 2 WD SATA2 250GB HD's. When my room is cold the cpu temp is 112F (idle). When I play BF2 its 163F-165F. Already that is pretty hot, but when I tried encoding a DVD with DVD Shrink I caught it at 191F. Anyways shink has been the only program able to do this....When I watched it the 4 cpus in task manager were close to 100%. Anyways I have the stock heatsink on there now and want to get a new one.....I was looking at the Arctic Cooling - Freezer 7 Pro, but is there a best heatsink for the pentium D? Obviously I may have installed the stock heatsink wrong and am going to check it out, but I want to know if anybody else has used this CPU with DVD Shrink and noticed extremely high temps while encoding. No other program has come close to maxing out the cpus like it does. Oh and I also used crappy Windows XP X64 lol, my room is hot most the time too....75-80. My alternitive would be getting a top end liquid cooling system like the RESERATOR 1 Plus, but is that going to make a huge differnce vs a nice heatsink?

-Sam
Berkeley Web Design
www.berkeleywebdesign.com
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:13:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You've got the Prescott version of the DC P4...the 9xxx series is the cooler of the two (Pressler).

Can't find any specs on the thermal dissapation, so it's hard to say it can handle the 130+ watts that CPU is cranking out.

Maybe a heavier-duty fan? What are the temps like with the stock fan.?

Heh heh....I said "duty" Laughing

Boo Boo

Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:47:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

right now i've got on the stock heatsink and fan that came with it
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:00:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So it's been a few weeks. I tried all I could to get it running a bit cooler. I moved my primary userspace from Win XP to Gentoo Linux again and finally got around to getting lm_sensors to work. The kernel has been configured with only the necessary drivers and support/options I need, and optimized for this hardware. I varied the kernel frequency timer between 100Hz, 250Hz, and 1000Hz settings. No temperature differences were noted and since theoretically (and slightly noticably when multitasking) 1000Hz is fastest, I'm using that setting. I also tried getting EIST to work in linux, but still need to work on that so it'll step to 2800MHz when not under load.

Anyway, after remounting the heatsink for a fourth time, I managed to get the thermal paste spread extremely thin and got a few degrees shaved off of idle temps (down to 40C idle now). The load temps are still making me sweat (literally!). After compiling a new version of gcc, I went to recompile the kernel with the new version (and tweaked some things unrelated). I think Linux gives a more accurate picture of the temps at load as it stresses the procs more than windows with a 1000Hz (1ms) timer as opposed to Win XP's 200Hz (8ms) timer.

Here's a picture proc's temp in the middle of compiling a kernel (100% load on both cores) after letting it sit idle and cool off to idle temps.

http://richgannon.net/images/hightemp.png

The clear-ish program just left of the center of the screen shows the temps and fan (120mm) RPMs.

Besides from getting a better HSF, can anyone suggest some good 120mm fans? Silence isn't too much of a concern, but want to keep it at a reasonable level but provide a good cooling solution.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:06:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Antec Stealths are good fans. Lots of air and not much noise. I used one for my X-qpack and the noise level went down considerably.

Might want to look at this:
http://www.svc.com/scktn-1000.html
or this (with a 120mm fan):
http://www.svc.com/scnj-1000.html

From what I've seen, 60-64'C is the norm, although a few folks are oc'ing them on water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: