Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Groups sue California over minors video game ban
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:23:12    Post Subject: Groups sue California over minors video game ban Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Two industry trade groups sued the state of California on Monday after the state passed a law barring the sale of violent video games to minors.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the former screen "Terminator" who is himself portrayed in several video games based on his Hollywood roles, vowed to fight the suit, which was filed in federal court in San Jose.

The Scoop
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Murdock[NJLP]
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:08:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I saw this story.

I can't say that I would be against this law. I kinda like the idea, with one modification:
I think instead of the store getting trouble for SELLING the M Rated game, the parents should get dragged into court for BUYING it for their kid. After all how, are these kids getting the $40-50 bucks for these games anyway.

Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:37:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Murdock[NJLP] wrote:
I saw this story.

I can't say that I would be against this law. I kinda like the idea, with one modification:
I think instead of the store getting trouble for SELLING the M Rated game, the parents should get dragged into court for BUYING it for their kid. After all how, are these kids getting the $40-50 bucks for these games anyway.

Parent your own kids, let other people parent there own. If parents think its okay for their children to be exposed to violent video games at a young age, the government should not have a say in it.
Murdock[NJLP]
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:48:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That'd be fine...until their kid grows up to kill me.
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:09:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Murdock[NJLP] wrote:
That'd be fine...until their kid grows up to kill me.

Your honestly ignorant enough to think that violent video games create horrible, violent children that are going to come for you?
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:13:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not all kids that grow up with violent games/movies grow up to be killers, or even have any violent tendencies.

Hell, the first movie I remember seeing is the Exorcist. I was pretty young when I saw Amittyville Horror, Evil Dead, and many other horror films. I grew up watching any movie I wanted (that didn't involve large amounts sex).

Played all kinds of games from the time I was 8years old, and still play them now at 33years old.

I'm certainly not violent, or a danger to society.

People raise their kids with proper morals, and teach them right from wrong, there is no reason kids should be able to play the games if they are well adjusted.

Raising my son (who is 9years old now) has shown me many differences in how parents raise their children. I set the rules from day 1 and never deviated from them. He does something wrong, he get's punished. Now at 9years old, he punishes himself. Because he KNOWS what he did was wrong, and has to pay the concequences. On Monday after school, before I checked my email he went into his room and took out the harddrive from his computer and brought it to me. Knowing he was going to be in trouble when I checked email from his teacher because he didn't do his homework.

I will allow him to watch almost any movie, or play any game. Providing I'm there to monitor it with him.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:14:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know (of) alot of dumb people... TV, movies, music, games influence them way too much. I don't blame these things, but I do think they can make people think doing dumb things is OK.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Murdock[NJLP]
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:28:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dah...Thanks man.

Uh no. They don't create them. But I do think there is something to the idea that about desensitizing. I mean...I LOVE my game... Don't even THINK about taking away my games! Seriously! If I want to play it then I should be allowed to play it. But I tell ya, there is some stuff that I have seen that I wish I could un-see.

Too late.

Now come on...I'm not talking about 15 year olds, I'm not even talking about 10 year olds. To make your point, age really isn't that important. I guess what I'm talking about are the kids that lose sight of the fact that its JUST A GAME! I think there are some kids out there that lose site of the real world and the fact that the real world has consequences.

I was the first to laugh my a$$ off at the reports that those school shooters learned their skillz playing DOOM. If you can target with MOUSE, you can't all of the sudden shoot a semi-automatic rifle.

I mean I'm sure that there are several school shooters out there that have never touched a computer.

Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:12:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

But what your saying is to make it illegal for parents to buy the game for the kids. You just said yourself, that if you think your son is ready for something, that you'll allow him to watch/play it with your supervision.
misty
Mmmmm... Beer

PostPosted: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:03:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I like the law. If I choose to go buy it for my kid that's one thing, but I don't want my kid to be able to buy it behind my back.

I despise violent video games. I see no point in a young child playing them.

Also, what's the difference between banning this and banning Explicit Lyrics Albums from being sold to minors? I'd personally rather my kid listen to a few cuss words than kill numerous police officers in a video game.

Stewie: I was under the impression the name of the show was "Kids Say the Darndest Things," not "Old Black Comedians Never Shut the Hell Up."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: