Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Odd Linux Partioning?!?
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:58:54    Post Subject: Odd Linux Partioning?!? Reply with quote View Single Post

On the site's current server, we have two 80GB hard drives... sda has just about every partition and file for running the site, and sdc is one big partition with a folder for nightly backups and another folder where mySQL runs, which is symlinked back to the main drive.

New server Grin was setup and the partioning is a bit odd to me... Two 73GB hard drives in this one, with the following partitions...

/dev/sda6 26G 1.7G 23G 7% /
/dev/sda1 198M 25M 163M 14% /boot
/dev/sda3 487M 8.1M 454M 2% /tmp
/dev/sdb1 50G 245M 47G 1% /home
/dev/sda2 15G 264M 14G 2% /var
/dev/sda5 26G 33M 25G 1% /backup

Just seems confusing to me...

So... /home is the only thing on the second drive? And where is the balance of that drive's space? Don't tell me 23GB disappears during formatting.

And... does it look like I can accomplish what I want with this setup? Backing up site files to the /backup folder is ok, and leaving mySQL in /var/lib at least has them on a drive separate from the front end... But not separate from the OS, etc...

Confused
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:10:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Who/what setup your parititions? Plus, I thought this was supposed to be in an array...? Also, how big are your backups?

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:16:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No, there is no RAID. Just two drives.

The data center set them up, and I had described what I was doing now and wanted to continue doing.

Backups are just a GB or 2.

So?
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:20:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's just a bit odd to me. The only reason I can think they would put /home on its own drive is that your WWW files and data are there. But then why not /var on the same drive? If that drive fails you keep the /home files, but you'll have to restore your MySQL db from your backup :/

Jeez that's a big backup. Is it mostly files or db or...?

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:24:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, the backup folder is actually 7 days worth, the way I do. I have a backup file for every day of the week, which overwrites the following week. DBs and all Files x7.

Any suggestions on the partitioning? Is there anything I can do now that it is setup? And where is the rest of my space?

Can I actually put things in the / folder?

Thanks...
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:28:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You should be able to fdisk sbd and create a new partition on the extra space. You could mount it somewhere, but I'm not sure what you'd want to do with it.

Unfortunately, this is the only thing I can think to do without possible loss of data or having to re-do what is done. ThePMG or Dud3! might be able to help further.

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:38:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, other than the OS and server software, there is no data. I want to get it right up front, before I start using it.

I just want to understand this, and use it as best possible. And I want all the disk space I should have... Grin

At this point, could I move "/home" onto to sda, eliminate '/ " and "/backup", and create one or two partitions on sdb?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:43:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

NO NO NO! Do NOT EVER eliminate the / folder. That means all your binaries will be gone. That serves as a root dir for everything else you need

You could probably move /home, but what is in there? Also do you only login as root?

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:54:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh yeah... Laughing

Just hadn't seen / that big in my structure before... Bang Head

This is what we currently have on the live server:

/dev/hda6 1012M 33M 928M 4% /tmp
/dev/hda1 46M 14M 30M 33% /boot
/dev/hdc1 74G 1.8G 68G 3% /disk2
/dev/hda5 53G 1.2G 49G 3% /home
/dev/hda7 1012M 282M 679M 30% /
/dev/hda3 6.9G 396M 6.2G 6% /var
/dev/hda2 9.9G 3.0G 6.5G 32% /usr

And it has worked well so far. I was hoping to see the same setup on the new server... So, there is my confusion.

This is what is in /home on the new server:

./ aquota.user* cpapachebuild/ lost+found/ quota.user*
../ .cpan/ cpins/ ltsv-2468/
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:06:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Does cPanel run as its own user? I'm really not familiar with that app.

I noticed that the current server gave /usr its own partition. That's not really a big deal I suppose as it doesn't need much more room after initial install. Can you redo the new partitioning scheme yourself or will you have to talk to the guys at the datacenter?

A letter to a soldier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: