Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Who knows HDTVs?
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:30:52    Post Subject: Who knows HDTVs? Reply with quote View Single Post

I want one! But don't have the big bucks to go crazy. Probably something in the area of 32-36", and most likely NOT LCD or Plasma.

But, what is the deal with DLP and "Projection LCD"? Are they worth anything?

I see many good brands of CRT HDTVs with DVI, and various other inputs, but don't know if I should spend some more for these other technologies!

Confused
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

trekrider
Feeling: Prehistoric

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:47:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have not done any research...but, from what I've heard, DLP is the way to go!
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:12:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

DLP is by far the way to go.

Watch the DVI, not all DVI TV's are compatible with computer DVI output. But most anything newer than a GeForce 5200 (not sure the ATI equivalent) outputs over S-video in HDTV and looks great on the HDTV Smile
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:20:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well... I want the DVI for my new Volari... Wink S-Video and DVI HDTV output... and hardware based MPEG-2 decoding too...

Othe things... fatbastard has convinced me wide screen is the way to go... and I don't think I want/need a HDTV tuner built in (HDTV Wonder) and maybe digital cable one day...
trekrider
Feeling: Prehistoric

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:49:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes to widescreen!!!!!!!!
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:37:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dlp lcd is bascially just an lcd tv thats being projected through a lightbulb...

if its for normal cable which im assuming get a tv w/ the cable card already built into the side that way you dont have to buy a special high-def box or anything and your cable company if you ask will give you a cable card for free.... you have to ask for it though cause they dont like the tvs that have them in them cause they lose money if you can imagine

im not a tv guru though so i wouldnt listen too highly to me lol

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:12:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have done some research on this...

DLP is great, however...

1) You have to replace the lightbulb in them every year or two (they are a couple hundred bucks each). HOWEVER this will make the TV basically have a "new" picture.

2) Because of the way DLP works, it causes some people to have headaches.

Widescreen IS the way to go. (Most programs look like crap however when stretched... but you get used to it).

Personally after looking into it, I went with a plain old Projection HDTV. Best price, wider viewing angle, great picture. (We bought a 51" Widescreen Toshiba earlier this year)
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:09:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's impossible to beat a CRT for black level,contrast, saturation, and color reproduction. but they have the weakness of focus/conversion problems (especially widescreen)
and are heavy.
plasma would be second, but it is expensive, subject to burn in, too bright (neon-y colors) fragile, requires expensive setup and regular service, and has a fairly short useable life. heat and eletrical demand can be a problem too (don't risk your big investment, all of these should have a big dedicated UPS, Surge kills)
a good DLP would be my choice for a good comprimise It's weakness is imperfect black level (like LCD, which reduces total contrast) and lower total brightness. (work fine for most people in a partially lit room (neither too bright or too dark)
Once you decide on a technology than the hard part is spending enough to get a quality device.

[url=HTPC.com]http://htpcnews.com[/url] can get you pointed in the right direction (forums are good, but ignore the "if it didn't cost $10-30K, it's not worth crap" crowd)
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:32:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well... with a $500 Best Buy gift card, and a 10% off coupon for TVs, I am looking at TVs up to $1500. Not too many choices at BB, but there are a few Toshiba and Samsung CRTs.

I like the 32" Toshiba I saw... dual NTSC tuners for PIP, DVI in (and all kinds of other connections), and 1080i support, but not wide screen.

Samsung's seem to have the HD tuner built in, which I don't think I will even use, and have more in widescreen choices.

My price is also on the edge of some LCDs... and Bes Buy doesn't seem to have DLPs... I only knew of them from the ads here, and from fatbastard saying to check them out... Grin
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:38:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Y'all are stupid. It's all about projectors. (please note the sarcasm. and BB, did you get my PM?)

A letter to a soldier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: