Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Wireless!
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:23:58    Post Subject: Wireless! Reply with quote View Single Post

I finally set up a wirless connection, but not quite how I wanted it...

I had a wired router already connected for cable, and I wanted to use my wireless router as just an access point... too many conflicts, and I couldn't access the wireless router's settings.

Anyway... so now the old wired router is just being used as another switch, and the net comes through the wireless router and my only wireless connection is to my HTPC... working fine!!

I set up the highest WPA security... what can I do to test it? Senor Cheeze? Cheese
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:29:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Do to test what? Your connected? Then it works Grin

If you want to kick up the security a bit more disable the brodcasting of the SSID. And if you want it more secure, then deny all but MAC address you manually add to the router.

Not much else you can do on a home equipment (well not much more you can do on pro equipement either, but you can do more on the rest of the network there).
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:36:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh... so its working if I can see the web? Bang Head

Grin Laughing

Yeah, I meant the security! I just disabled the SSID broadcast... If I add a new machine down the road, is it easy to connect? Or, do I just turn the SSID broadcast back on temporarily at that time?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:39:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nope you never have to broadcast it. When you configure the new system to use it, it will find it.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:29:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Set it for infrastructure mode, (making it a subnet isn't a bad idea) SPI and firewall on, and the rest of what the Dr. ordered
Since (I assume) your HTPC is stationary this is a case where a hardwire connection would be a better choice (baring physical barriers)
I recommend using wireless ONLY for moblie devices and only when a wired connection is not possible/aceptable
WEP was broken, bluetooth was broken, airport was broken, and eventually a WPA loophole will be found
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:14:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-shirt - While in theory I do agree with you. The business world and security there verse the home security world is different.

You have to realize that by just doing a few things to secure your home wireless network, and your PC's you will really get all the security you need for home. Here is one of the biggest reasons.... simple targets are easiest.

For example, in my area. When I turn on my wireless NIC/Bridge I see any place between 4 - 8 different AP's. Of which no more than 1/2 of them have any security on them. So if you are a thief, hacker, etc... what targets are you going to go for first?? The easy ones. Just like a car thief. If he sees a parking lot full of cars, he's going to go after the ones with out any security measures first. Same thing here. So by doing things such as:

1) Using Encryption - Either WEP or WPA (WPA preferred of course)

2) Not broadcasting SSID

3) Allowing only known MAC's to connect

4) Using real passwords on your accounts on your computers

just those few easy steps are enough to protect your computers for 99.9% of all Wi-Fi attacks you might come under. While a professional hacker could spend a little time to get through all that stuff.... why would they? They have easier targets to get, and a pro would only be using someones home network to launch an attach against another target, so they are going to go for the easiest target to minimize their risk of being caught.

So I think what I'm trying to say is basicly... take the basic security measures and you will be reasonable secure at home. And that is really all the home user can ask for.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:48:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

No, I agree that a reasonable level of security will make most hackers move on, and I would worry less about home system stolen data, than loss of/damaged data (there's not enough money for professional thieves to hack one system at a time, and the kid down the block will get caught fairly quickly) A greater danger from general lax security of WLANs is once in your system a worm could be sent to the net using your account. or set as the receiving/relay system for stolen data. It could be very unpleasant to have the FBI come knocking on your door/ taking your systems for anylisys even though it would eventually get straighten out.
I'm not sure not being the the most vunerable in your neighborhood is really being responsible.
And my point was wired is faster, usually cheaper, much more secure, maybe not quite as cool.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:29:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well.... actually Wired isn't necessarily cheaper.

Wireless equipment has dropped... ALOT. Also for the home, how many of us have the cabling and tools required to run a Cat5 cable from one end of the house to the other. And by the time you buy that stuff, it becomes more expensive than does a WiFi setup. Granted it's cheaper to go grab a 25' Cat5 cable from the store and run it across the room, but try running a cable form the basement to the 2nd floor. Not easy, nor cheap.

Also you have to realize that again, there is much simpler way to hi-jack someones system then trying to hack in via their wireless connection. For one, it requires close physical proximity. Which means you stand a much greater chance of being caught physically.

Also, wired is faster for what? Unless you are doing a lot of LAN traffic, even a 802.11b 11Mbps connection is still faster than the fastest internet connection. Even if the real throughput is only 1/4 of the connected speed, that still puts you at 2.75Mbps which is faster than probably the majority of all home users internet connection.

All I'm really trying to say is WiFi when done correctly in the home, is secure and fast enough.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:54:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK
It also depends greatly on your location, and the transmitter type. Dealt with 2 clients home systems in the last month, in small apartment (3rd floor) (but fairly expensive) and a large condo (28th floor) in/near downtown. WLAN's were used as in one running wire in the wall would have broken lease and the condo had a custom plaster finish NOT TO BE TOUCHED! Both systems worked well for a couple years but one is now mostly nonfuntional, other is intermittant, especially late night when client needs to work intermittent one is condo a usually line of site. both are 'b' wlan's
In both cases I believe new WALN's using 'g' spread spectrum (MIMO)(possibly boosted, or directional anttenas) are disrupting the "ether" (original meaning/radio spectrum)
At aptartment site I detected maybe up to 100 different connection before/in between being blanked out (ground-mobile traffic could be a factor here)
Condo site I found 2-3 locations that received consistant signal but none were a prefered location to the client to work/play. I don't think ground /mobile systems are a big factor here (recent prestressed pan pour floors, steel layer blocked all floor to floor connections) but 4 new buildings close/ next door probably means lots of new connections (I was there during the day), and only detected maybe a dozen connections(all wide open Bang Head ) Condo should of had structure wiring by code at the time it was built (but I'm not going to poke a hole in the wall to find it, reddish rock like finish, looks impossible to patch Confused (cheaply))
In both cases I recommended upgrading to 'g' spread spectrun equipment (hopefully overpowering interferance) even though I hate the non-standard hog method, it is more secure (due to less hardware out there, and frequency hopping)
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:01:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wanted wireless to try out initially, but only bought due to the low price I got on the router and card when Target cleared the shelves.

For my use, the HTPC location would require a bit of work to hardwire, and this is definitely much easier. Plus, with the wired network only being in the basement, and the HTPC on the first floor, I can still stretch up to the second floor if necessary, without even more difficult runs of wiring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: