Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Wireless! 
BeerCheeze
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:14:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote

T-shirt - While in theory I do agree with you. The business world and security there verse the home security world is different.

You have to realize that by just doing a few things to secure your home wireless network, and your PC's you will really get all the security you need for home. Here is one of the biggest reasons.... simple targets are easiest.

For example, in my area. When I turn on my wireless NIC/Bridge I see any place between 4 - 8 different AP's. Of which no more than 1/2 of them have any security on them. So if you are a thief, hacker, etc... what targets are you going to go for first?? The easy ones. Just like a car thief. If he sees a parking lot full of cars, he's going to go after the ones with out any security measures first. Same thing here. So by doing things such as:

1) Using Encryption - Either WEP or WPA (WPA preferred of course)

2) Not broadcasting SSID

3) Allowing only known MAC's to connect

4) Using real passwords on your accounts on your computers

just those few easy steps are enough to protect your computers for 99.9% of all Wi-Fi attacks you might come under. While a professional hacker could spend a little time to get through all that stuff.... why would they? They have easier targets to get, and a pro would only be using someones home network to launch an attach against another target, so they are going to go for the easiest target to minimize their risk of being caught.

So I think what I'm trying to say is basicly... take the basic security measures and you will be reasonable secure at home. And that is really all the home user can ask for.

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved