Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Help Upgrading Old Computer
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpydeR
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:39:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Screw it I'm just gonna reformat, damn it all to hell!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

michael_holmes
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:46:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok sorry that your build isn't going as planned. This almost always happens to me. Something just always seems to not go right.
SpydeR
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:28:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Alright so I reformatted, I need help partitioning the 40gig HD, I already installed it onto 31gigs for C: It says I have 7gigs left after install(it always takes more than it says for some reason Confused )

I want a swap drive, but I forget how to calculate how much memory should go towards them. I know it's something to do with RAM, the old machine has 512 RAM, so what do you guys think I should do for partitioning a swap drive?

I'm going to be putting the rest into a media files drive so they can store the MP3's they like and what not.

Edit: Nevermind, Spire rules Smile
michael_holmes
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:45:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok So all your questions answered?
SpydeR
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 04:31:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just when I thought I was good. Bang Head Well I'm having problems with random crashes now, I think it's the HDD because the CPU is just fine at about 29C, and I don't think it would be any of this new stuff, and it would make sense if the one old thing, the 40 gig HDD, was the problem. It usually only crashes when I would think it's working on loading/installing something or multiple things at once. It usually crashes while trying to install bigger programs/drivers. Do you guys think it's the HDD or something else?

Another bad thing that happened is that I thought the random crashes might be because of a bad OS install or something, so I reformatted, twice. Now when I try to activate my Windows XP Home with that annoying "30 days left" activation thing, it says, "You have exceeded your limit on installing XP" I don't know what to do. I read somewhere online that you can reformat as many times as you like as long as it's the "Activations on the same PC using the same product key are unlimited." So I think I'll be okay, I just need to contact tech support or something. Any buddy have any suggestions on what the crashes might be from? I haven't even OC'd yet!
SpydeR
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 04:39:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Actually now that I think about it, it could be the CPU, maybe. It sometimes crashes at the boot up too while trying to load the desktop. Maybe after I overclock it to 2.2Ghz it might be okay. We'll see. But what do you guys think? HDD, CPU, other ?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:05:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Overclocking has never solved a stability problem! It only creates them.

My first guess would be either your RAM or a driver.

Try getting the latest BIOS upgrade for your motherboard, and all of the latest drivers for your soundcard, NIC, chipset, video card, etc..
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:13:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Call the 800 number that pops up on your screen during activation. It's all automated. You read off the million digit code (voice recognition is pretty good), and then they give you a billion digit code. Then your activated. Even if you change a bunch of hardware, it will just kick you to an operator who will ask you if you have this OS installed on any other machine, then give you a new code to enter. Just tell them you have been having hardware issues and need to keep installing.
SpydeR
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:53:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Alright thanks spire, I'll try that. As for what Dr. EC said, it could be the RAM I guess. I don't think it would be a driver because I have the mobo driver installed, along with all the video/sound/windows updates currently. Is there any real way to check?

Also another weird thing is that when I try to shut down the computer from desktop, it just restarts. I can push in the button on the actual case to turn it off, but arrg.
michael_holmes
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:16:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd guess ram. I had a bad chip and once it got a certain amount of stuff on it down the system went. Do you have multiple sticks? If so experiment with 1 at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: