Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Satellite Internet
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asylum
Joshzilla

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:00:22    Post Subject: Satellite Internet Reply with quote View Single Post

Does anyone in here use satellite Internet??? I only know of one other person that used to use it and didn't know a whole lot about it even when he did use it. He directed me toward wildblue but i've never heard of them before.

Any feedback would be helpful. No there is no other high speed Internet here. Sad Bang Head

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:22:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Someone here uses satnet, but I can't remeber who.

I've heard good things about Wildblue, and the pricing seems pretty good. Look into the TOS for limits on downloading.

I hope you don't play games, the 44,000 mile round trip is hell on latency.

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:32:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Depending on exactly what your getting depends on your satisfaction.

The biggest thing is as PMG pointed out, latency. Just so you know the difference... DSL/Cable it's generally in the 50ms to 150ms range. In Satellite it's generally 500ms - 600ms.

Also you have to consider One-way -vs- Two way. One-way means you bring down stuff on the satellite link, but upload via a modem. Bad, bad ju-ju.

Two-way is best because it's always on. But remember... that latency? That's each way. Bang Head Also an FCC licensed tech HAS to install the two-way, so expect a pretty high install cost.

But either way, online gaming and VoIP is out. Dial-up will give you better latency than Satellite.
Asylum
Joshzilla

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:19:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd have to go with 2 way, and as for gaming i'll just have to play with myself Yikes

There is a rumor that Quest is bringing DSL to the area in the next year or so but nothing yet.

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:21:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

wildblue and directway (now HughesNet "we only screw you half as much as before"Satellite) are the only real choices
Relieze a 2way system installed costs $700+ which you can pay for up front (easy to bail out of when something better shows up, but stuck with worthless equipment/most installers won't install equipment from ebay) or a 2 year $50+/permonth contract.
I had directway dial return service for a year and a half (beta test no charge to me Smile , it was better then dialup for downloads and general surfing/forums etc. but worthless for latentcy sensitive apps (games, etc.)
the dial return has lower latentcy (only one 22k+ mile trip to the sat and back each way, twice that 88,000miles+for 2 way "One-way systems typically get pings in the 400-500ms range with 450ms about average and two-way systems in the 690-1150ms range, with 850ms about average.
) but very low upload speed (about 18-20k on a good day)
The 2 main problems are weather related outages (liquid water as in rain heavy mist, fog or wet snow on the dish, is an excellent microwave absorber Mad ) at either your end (common) or the NOC/upload site (at least monthly Confused )
and hughes tech/customer service (not our fault", "we don't care" "we don't know how", "we'll get back to you in your next life......maybe"

It may have improved but I'd check with the people at these forums

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/56
BEFORE you commit to satellite.
Now you know one of the reasons why sheep eventually begin to look good Grin (seen any woman yet?) WTF
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:28:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Asylum wrote:
i'll just have to play with myself Yikes

There is a rumor that Quest is bringing DSL to the area in the next year or so but nothing yet.

That's probably safer
AND
don't hold your breath waiting for qwest, they'll be luck to still be in business in a year or two let alone expanding
part of their problem is they promise alot and then do nothing.
ok they promise very little and then do less Sad
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:14:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Aye, don't hold your breath for Qwest....I ended up dropping them as my carrier totally because they pissed me off regarding DSL..

For four years, they said: DSL will be in your neighborhood within 6 months....

The best part was when I asked they would say, they are working on it right now, I see it on the schedule to be completed within the next 6 months...

5 years later, it's FINALY in the area...too bad I've been with Cable for 4.5 years already and no need to switch!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Asylum
Joshzilla

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:50:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the info guys...

I was just looking at the wild blue webpage and found the system to be 299$ with free install and 80$ a month for 1.5mbps/256kbps. it also includes 10 hrs a month of dialup just incase i need to do something realy slowly with a lower ping.

On the other hand Qwest has brought DSL to the next closest town 35+ miles away. So in the next 3-4 years i might be able to get on with them.

Rolling Eyes

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:21:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I suppose that's not terrible...costly...but us internet junkie pay what we have to for our fix....
Asylum
Joshzilla

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:25:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just got a password for earthlink from my dad to use until i get something better going. Yep its just as slow as i remember. Bang Head
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: