Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Satellite Internet 
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:21:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote

wildblue and directway (now HughesNet "we only screw you half as much as before"Satellite) are the only real choices
Relieze a 2way system installed costs $700+ which you can pay for up front (easy to bail out of when something better shows up, but stuck with worthless equipment/most installers won't install equipment from ebay) or a 2 year $50+/permonth contract.
I had directway dial return service for a year and a half (beta test no charge to me Smile , it was better then dialup for downloads and general surfing/forums etc. but worthless for latentcy sensitive apps (games, etc.)
the dial return has lower latentcy (only one 22k+ mile trip to the sat and back each way, twice that 88,000miles+for 2 way "One-way systems typically get pings in the 400-500ms range with 450ms about average and two-way systems in the 690-1150ms range, with 850ms about average.
) but very low upload speed (about 18-20k on a good day)
The 2 main problems are weather related outages (liquid water as in rain heavy mist, fog or wet snow on the dish, is an excellent microwave absorber Mad ) at either your end (common) or the NOC/upload site (at least monthly Confused )
and hughes tech/customer service (not our fault", "we don't care" "we don't know how", "we'll get back to you in your next life......maybe"

It may have improved but I'd check with the people at these forums

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/56
BEFORE you commit to satellite.
Now you know one of the reasons why sheep eventually begin to look good Grin (seen any woman yet?) WTF

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved