Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
New computer recommendations
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tech-Daddy
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:59:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

sgogeta4 wrote:
Why/how is the Seagate better than Hitachi's? Both have NCQ, Hitachi has SATA-II, while it isn't utilized at it's fullest, it's still faster than SATA?

A lot of us in the tech world got burned, and significantly on the Deskstar "Deathstar" line on their 60GXP and 75GXP line of hard drives. They were synonymous with failure/heartache and data loss. Mad

IBM, to this day, will not admit that they did anything wrong. Class action lawsuit is wrapping up against the company, settlements will be paid out, all done without any admission of fault or wrong doing by IBM. Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head

Now, I *know* that the hard drive division was sold off to Hitachi, and I know that Hitachi was coming out with drive pretty quickly after they bought the division. That says to me that Hitachi was using IBM engineered hard drives that they sold under ttheir banner.

I do not trust Deathstar drives. IBM? Hitachi? Dosen't matter... All Hitachi can do with the huge number of IT personel that were burned by this travisty is to build the Deskstar name back up into something that represents quality among the buying public, and the next generations of Sys Admins and computer builders.

This generation of system builders is lost to that company. I think they know that. I think they also price their drive knowing that they have an uphill battle to gain back mind share.

Good to decent prices, quick time to market. Good performance.

... but I still don't trust them.... Bang Head

Gimme a Seagate any day. I've also hear mutterings that WD will have SATAII out in the June/July time frame.

I'll be jumping all over that.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:19:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i dont trust them because we have 4 hitatchi deathstars at shcool that all have the same problem...and my freinds dad reicently gave me his 60gb deathstar beacause it is makin crazy noises...i have 2 80gb western digital drives in my pc...and the female molex conectors on both are too big so if i bump my case the hdd looses power for a second and freezes the machine its a huge pain...go with seagate or maxtor and you will be happy...

btw: very nice summary of why we all hate deathstars it was very informative.

sgogeta4
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:48:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks, that really was informative, I never knew why people always preferred Seagate and WD over Hitachi.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 23:14:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Seagate good....

WD... BAD!! Out of all the drives I have ever go bad, 95% are WD.

Hitachi... I had one bad deathstar, the rest have been great. I have no complaints. I still think I have a 4.3GB UW SCSI IBM driving sitting around that still works, and about 7 yrs of 24/7 use.

The other say 4% failures have been from Maxtor... but it's only been like 2 dirives.

I'm also running a pair of Hitachi SATA drives in my dually rig, they are smok'n fast.
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 24 May 2005 23:17:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i hate my wd drives...when i rebuuimy pc they are the first to go.
huwyngr
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:52:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Just a couple of points -- I'd back one of the larger PC Power& Cooling PSUs but if you were thinking of coupling it with one of their cases they don't sell them anymore. They only do PSUs.

I got one last fall with the bays I wanted (4 x 5.25 and 2 +1 3.5) with a 410 watt PSU and when I went to their website for some information on the front panel I found no cases; they confirmed by email that they did them no more.

If you have not installed SATA drives before, do be very careful how you handle the cable connections -- IMO the design of the SATA power and data cable connectors is atrocious and should never have been released for public use. The plastic surround that is all that holds the connector on the cable in place (wiping contacts not pins) is very fragile and I broke one of mine when moving the data cable (it's stiff) while it was plugged in to the drive.

I know -- it's probably designed or at least approved by a SATA committee ............

But do be careful and never try to pull a drive from a bay with the cables plugged in.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:12:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I placed my orders last night for my new system...

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI Ultra mobo
Athlon64 x2 4400+
2 gig ram (2.5 cas Ramses)
gforce 6800 256mb video

Pretty phat upgrade from a p4/1.7 with 512 mb RDRAM and a gforce3 on a intel D845GB board.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:52:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dat's a big system... CPU alone is $685.

Where did you say you lived again?? Confused
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:23:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Denver, in park hill...

http://www.tankguys.com/processors-athlon64-c-29_138.html
Check those prices, cheesy.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:07:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You know, there is a lot of crime in that area... would be ashame if your new PC ended up missing.

What was your address again Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: