Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Logisys Glacier Dual LED Fan 500W Power Supply
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:56:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the feedback on both sides guys... Although we have standardized on all PSU tests being recorded off of a multimeter, I do think we need to standardize on the methodology. Perhaps with something we can all run, like SiSoft Sandra's Burn-In Wizard set to stress all the components... Then just watch the individual rails for highs and lows over several cycles.

I am currently the only one able to correct reviews, and I had missed the update that this PSU was totally dead. Hellfire has now sent me a revised conclusion, and I will be adding it this weekend. Faulty speed controller was one thing, 90 day life span is another.

Thanks!

I would like a link to thsi list of worst PSU reveiws though...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

7Enigma
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:17:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks guys for all the replies. I hope I did not come off being overly upset, just with this thread I started, we have begun to see many poor reviews that will sway the average Joe's dollars towards products that "may" not be the best decision. While I would tend to agree that this product will be tailored more towards the good-looks crowd, nonetheless, they have to expect a 500w claimed product to be stressed to the limit.

It might take a few bad reviews to get ALL powersupply companies to be more forthright with their products. Like speakers today, they fool naive consumers into thinking the higher number is better. While some companies like Antec and OCZ are more reliable with the stated specs, most are still massaging the data to increase sales. Again, I thank you for your replies, and apologize if my tone appeared harsh. Please post back in the thread here when the review has been modified.

justin

EDIT: for the worst reviews thread:

Link
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:37:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks 7Enigma... the scariest thing in that thread is how the new guy, Josie Wales, decided he should be the spokeman for ethics and decided we were corrupt and willing to lie in the name of a single, cheap item. There is no sponsor I am willing to do that for, and we have given bad scores and refused items that looked poor.

Hellfire had a typo, or transposed a number wrong... it was a mistake. No one complained, just questioned the review and we looked into it and corrected it. Now, at the time the review was released, it got a 3 out of 5). I don't think we can be accused of trying to suck up to a manufacturer with that score, but we have given lower (even a 0/5). Regardless, the manufacturer who got the zero (Evercool) and Logisys both asked if they could send more samples for review despite not doing to well in our testing. They obviously appreciate thorough reviews of poor products, as much as glowing reviews.

I have seen many power supply reviews that may deserve to be on that list, but won't list any personally... What makes this one stand out to me to not deserve a place there is that Hellfire had a testing methodolgy that he stuck to through the whole review, and tested this power supply using two other units as head-to-head competition. I insist on multimeter testing, but even those who use MBM5 or similar need to compare it to something else, and have a consistent approach to testing. His system is modern and probably represents a good example of a typical system. From that view, it may be more informative to many people with similar setups looking for a new psu, than if he loaded it with things the average Joe will never install.

One thing is for sure, I want us to use the same test methods now, in addition to the same test equipment.

Two Cents
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:21:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The original conclusion was updated with new info from Hellfire... thanks.

This was the original:
Quote:
Conclusion:

In conclusion, this power supply has some faults, with the biggest fault being the control knob. Overall it’s a very nice power supply. The blue LED’s on the fans are bright, the cables are more than sufficient for the largest case, and the power is very stable even under a load.

Wrapping the cables would have been an extremely nice touch, but does not distract from the rest of the power supply. Not many power supplies are wrapping their cables, but it is becoming more popular.

If you are willing to take a shot that you get one with a functional speed dial, the price is also reasonable. Starting under $50 (US), these units can be found at places like Xoxide, Newegg, and Frozen CPU.

Due to the Control Knob, I have to give the Logisys Glacier 500W power supply 3 out of 5 stars.

Final Rating (3 out of 5 stars):

Pros:

• Price – Under $50... Very reasonable for a 500W power supply
• Noise – The control knob allows you to control the noise from the fans, even with the fans turned up on high, the PS isn't any louder than the other 80mm fans in my case.
• Looks – Great looking finish if you have an acrylic case.
• Cable Wraps – For a low cost PS, any pre-wrapped cables are helpful.
• Fans – Large, efficient, and quiet fans.
• Connectors –Plenty of connectors for all your needs, although a second SATA would be helpful

Cons:

• Wrapping – Only the main power cable was wrapped.
• Control Knob – Did not function for long
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Power All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: