Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Logisys Glacier Dual LED Fan 500W Power Supply
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:01:24    Post Subject: Logisys Glacier Dual LED Fan 500W Power Supply Reply with quote View Single Post

The silver control knob on the back of the Logisys Glacier power supply controls the speed of the two fans... Unfortunately the control knob was not very reliable; it only worked for about an hour. During that hour, I was able to adjust the speed of the fans (and the brightness of the fan LEDs). Shortly thereafter, I needed to leave the room so I turned the fans down to the middle speed. When I came back, the fans were off... - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:00:48; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BonusMinutes
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:20:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was a little disappointed with the review. A power supply has one primary function, to supply power within well defined specifications. The 3.3V line of the Logisys Glacier was nearly 15% over the correct voltage. To say that "The rails were putting out a little more power than their “official” ratings" is an understatement. In fact the 3.3V line was running at a dangerously high 3.78V, capable of damaging several system components, and should have been given a failing grade without hesitation. If a product cannot do its job properly and could potentially damage other components it must be clearly stated that the product failed the review and cannot be recommended.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:13:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Regarding the 3.3V line... you are very correct, that is bad! I apologize for not noticing as I edited / formated this review, but Hellfire, would you mind busting out the multimeter and rechecking that value?

If it is that high, please let us know (and then get that unit out of your computer Yikes ).
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:42:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Looking over the numbers it doesn't appear to be a significant increase, but looking at the % increase that is significant.

I'll reverify the numbers this afternoon...
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:36:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hellfire just sent me over an update on the testing... He is now getting 3.47 where it initially said 3.77. Not sure where the communications broke down, but I apologize for the error... thanks for pointing this out BonusMinutes!!
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:58:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wonder if that high voltage could be the reason that the fan controller went out. Then after it went out, the voltage went down to a more normal level...
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:01:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't think so... that should be all on the 12V rail, right?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:14:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea it should be. Just wondering if that could've in some way changed the voltages *shrug*
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:57:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It shouldn't be able to. I assume it was using the Molex connector. That only has 12v & 5V in it, so it shouldn't be able to affect the 3v rail.
BonusMinutes
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:20:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I appreciate the great follow-up guys. Didn't want to see Hellfires gear get damaged. Good to see that the 3.3V rail is operating within spec now, although it is at the max allowable. I've included a link to the ATX12V v2.01 design guide for future reference. You may want to use Motherboard Monitor or similar software to keep an eye on things for the next few weeks just to be safe. Thanks.

Formfactors.Org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Power All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: