Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Netflix Player by ROKU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 05:36:44    Post Subject: Netflix Player by ROKU. Reply with quote View Single Post

My wife and I wanted to buy the Heroes series on DVD because we've never watched it and thought it might be interesting. After some research I stumbled upon Netflix and the Roku Player. I subscribed to the $8.99/month plan and bought the player. It's awesome! It's small simple and easy to use. It's not the best quality, but I think a lot of that has to do with our internet connection, but it's more than sufficient for what we're using it for. After signing up for Netflix I placed seasons 1-3 in my watch now queue and several movies in the DVD queue. We received the first of these in 1 day. Yep that's right, 1 day. Apparently Netflix has a distribution center right here in Anchorage. Grin. The Roku player was literally up and running in less than 5 minutes. I'm sure there will be better players eventually, but I'm pretty satisfied with this thing. Just thought I'd mention it in case others out there are looking at them.

It was also a lot cheaper than buying all three seasons on DVD.

Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:28:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That little thing does seem pretty cool... We have Netflix, but just don't watch as many movies any more. But, we do use the instant feature with the HTPC... Some times for kids movies, some times for exercise videos, and I'll watch old Law and Orders on occasion.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:28:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It's hard to find the time to actually sit down and watch a movie, but the tv shows are only 40minutes long when they take the commercials out so we don't seem to have a hard time wedging one in between other things. It's no better, and probably worse than using your HTPC to watch them, just nice because I turned my HTPC into an IPCOP firewall several months ago after my wife caught one of our kids googling "sexy boobies" on the internet. Grin

With your massive internet connection you could probably stream HD content if they made it available, I'm stuck watching past TV shows at 1.5Mbps which looks OK on our small 22" lcd TV, but has noticable quality issues on the 51" big screen. My connection is faster than that, but that's about the fastest speed you can get for any single connection between Anchorage and Seattle. Netflix has a distribution facility here in Anchorage, it's a shame they don't have a server cache as well. Still I like the simplicity and ease with which I can disconnect it and move it from TV to TV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: