Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
$4.00 Gas
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:42:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i was gonna say we have it easy compared to the rest of the world. its 3.65 here right now. My car can get close to 30 if i drive it decent which i dont. Whats fun is i have to get premium fuel so thats an extra few cents a gallon there... I try to not worry about gas prices personally until i dont need to use it everyday i have to buy it no matter what even if its 10 bones a gallon so i try to just not think about it lol.... goin to look at bikes this weekend lol

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:27:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SpeedZone - A couple of things

1) The US is much bigger than any single country in Europe, and we have much more distances to cover. This makes driving, a more expensive proposition over all.

2) Your government is doing it to you. It's all taxes, and your governments are taxing the living #$%&*@ out of you. And they don't even lube you up first.

3) Public transportation. For the most part, you guys have it and we don't. This is one of the things that make it more expensive for us over all. Now while both you and I say "Well get some frigg'n public transportation then!" the problem is because we are so much bigger here scaling that public transportation is very difficult. However we need to do a much better job then we are doing.

So... the problem on the surface is easy to understand... We have a major bad addition to oil, specially foreign oil. The solution isn't as easy as people would like to think it is, but it would sure as hell be a lot easier if we had started say... in the 70's the last time we had a major gas issue. Bang Head
SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:08:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yo, Yo, Dr. EvilCheeze...calm down... Grin

1. I know about the fact that USA is bigger than any single European country... Wink ...actually it's almost as big as entire Europe (in case you didnt know that Laughing ).

2. I wont comment much on politics (dont want "Big Bruin Politics War" here... Grin )....because even your government isnt superb....and they suck you dry too...either you know and admit that or not...but they are...but thats how all governments are...it's just that some do it more silently...and others not...but ALL are after our money...you can be sure about that... Bang Head Mad

3. I agree with you about public transportation and that you probably dont have so many "connections" from town to town, country to country...etc...like we do...but then again...you have cheaper fuel...you can go extra mile...for less $$$ than here...and all that with your own car (and at least i rather go with own car than to be in "the mercy" of public transport which may or may not come at all) Grin King

Finally...I never said i understand all details about this "problem"...because its surely too complex for one person to understand...I just compared yours and ours prices...and the conslusion of some sort would be...that in general....we are all in same SHI*....you maybe have cheaper fuel...but need to travel over longer distances and also drive much more gas hungry cars...and at us its the opposite...cars consume much less...but we pay extra for gas itself....there is just no justice on this world... Bang Head Rolling Eyes Mad

Peace out. Wave

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:26:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

A public transit system in the nature that most of Europe has could only work on a intra-municipal/county level here in the states where people work in the same town. Many of our big cities already have bus and trains - but the vast major of the people live in the small towns and country side where mass transit just wont work or the local government cant afford to create such a system.

Another problem we have here is people buying fuel hogs just for status symbols. ...can anyone explain to me why someone would need a SUV in Los Angeles, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas, etc?? Even with most of them being 2 wheel drive down there they only get 1-3 mpg more than a 4 wheel drive. ...but none of them need such a thing. Get a mini-van that gets into the mid-upper 20's in mpg. I know this goes against America's personal liberty issues - but I think unless you live/work in rural or snowy weather areas, the selection of vehicles allowed to be owned/purchased should be regulated.

Alternative fuels can help - but will only drive up the costs of other things. CNG fuel cars are great choice - but CNG stations are rarer than finding a Spanish shipwreck in the middle of Nebraska. Ethanol fuel drives up costs of corn, leaves us with less food, costs just as much if not more than gas, and pollutes even more if burnt in a car not designed specifically for alcohol. Electric cars have limited range - but the power still has to be produced somewhere thus causing pollution, parking with power charging stations is even rarer than CNG. And the bunny hungers are too pussified and block any attempts to build any more nuclear power to handle the increase in electrical demand. ...hell, they fight every time we put up a windmill here in PA.
Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:35:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
...Presently taking donations for bail money.

Count me in... Wave

*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 25 May 2008 00:48:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SpeedZone wrote:
Yo, Yo, Dr. EvilCheeze...calm down... Grin

Don't worry, I wan't upset (at you) at all.

Now let's not get most of us here started on the current government. I'd say there isn't a single member here who's a fan of it Grin
SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 25 May 2008 03:00:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
A public transit system in the nature that most of Europe has could only work on a intra-municipal/county level here in the states where people work in the same town. Many of our big cities already have bus and trains - but the vast major of the people live in the small towns and country side where mass transit just wont work or the local government cant afford to create such a system.

I know, I know....it's exactly the same here...although on much smaller scale but still...governent wants to convince us that it's just not "economically acceptable" to have bus lines in every small town. But I still believe that having at least 2 lines per day in such rural towns wouldnt hurt the budget that bad...even less...because if you just go and see on how many unnecessary and "stupid" things government spends money...then you can quickly come to a conclusion that this would actually do something good for the people...and not just take from them.

knight0334 wrote:
Another problem we have here is people buying fuel hogs just for status symbols. ...can anyone explain to me why someone would need a SUV in Los Angeles, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas, etc?? Even with most of them being 2 wheel drive down there they only get 1-3 mpg more than a 4 wheel drive. ...but none of them need such a thing. Get a mini-van that gets into the mid-upper 20's in mpg. I know this goes against America's personal liberty issues - but I think unless you live/work in rural or snowy weather areas, the selection of vehicles allowed to be owned/purchased should be regulated.

Again same here...sad but true...status symbols...buy bigger, better car than your neighbour has...even if that means to put a mortgage on your property...and to live and work just to pay all your debts... Rolling Eyes Bang Head And although i welcome your idea about regulating the selection of vehicles...on the other side...i am afraid this cant be achieved...because that would mean less cars sold....and automakers together with ties in governments and elsewere...would soon start "crying" that they dont have enough profits to keep the industry going (even if that would mean that they i.e. still have 2B$ profits per year...and not 10B$ as they are used to...and although they could cover most part of "loses" with slightly smaller ammounts paid for advertising and CEO's and their Hawaiian holidays...but nooooo....we should take care of that and cover that for them...we should bear the consequences for their lack of efficiency... Mad )....and then both would scare us about how many jobs would need to be lost to "revive" the industry....how the unemployment will raise....how taxes will raise...etc...so i believe they have too strong ties to achieve anything in this matter. Mad Crazy Bang Head

knight0334 wrote:
Alternative fuels can help - but will only drive up the costs of other things. CNG fuel cars are great choice - but CNG stations are rarer than finding a Spanish shipwreck in the middle of Nebraska. Ethanol fuel drives up costs of corn, leaves us with less food, costs just as much if not more than gas, and pollutes even more if burnt in a car not designed specifically for alcohol. Electric cars have limited range - but the power still has to be produced somewhere thus causing pollution, parking with power charging stations is even rarer than CNG. And the bunny hungers are too pussified and block any attempts to build any more nuclear power to handle the increase in electrical demand. ...hell, they fight every time we put up a windmill here in PA.

To sum it up...there is just no easy and cheap solution to our power needs...period. Maybe it would be better, easier and cheaper to go searching for that Spanish shipwreck in the middle of Nebraska. Grin Laughing Wink

knight0334 wrote:
Now let's not get most of us here started on the current government. I'd say there isn't a single member here who's a fan of it Grin

And not just in US...I believe the same is true for all governments...and its the only right thing....because if we would love them....someone would sooner or later accuse us of either getting some bribery from government to say that....or....having some unknown mental illnes of some sort.... Grin Laughing

Back to folding & Track Mania... Wave

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

heylinder
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 25 May 2008 07:31:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

DeathStar wrote:
I'm looking into picking up a 150cc scooter for the work commute.

I was thinking the same thing. My bike gets 50 mpg but with a 40 mile round trip to work I thought a 150cc scoot would pay off in no time. I was looking at the Schwinn Hope 150cc but after talking to a few people decided against that. Now if I can only find a nice used Vespa LXV 150 for under $2000 Rolling Eyes

Regular is at $3.89 right now. I put premium in my '71 SB at $4.14 per gallon. It gets 35 mpg compared to my '05 Canyon. Gotta love German engineering Wink
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 25 May 2008 08:11:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

We dont even have a choice for fuel efficient vehicles.

Why is it that they built cars that got 58mpg back in the late 80's to early 90's but cant build a car that gets 40mpg today?

Geo Metro xFI... I had a '90 or '91 Metro xFI back in the mid 90's. It got better than 58mpg on the highway and close to 45-50mpg in town.

Sure, it couldn't set any track records - but it could do better than the speed limit in all 50 states.

Hell, even the Ford Festiva I had got 50+ mpg on a good day and it was a '89 model year.
SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 25 May 2008 10:35:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

True again, knight0334. Wink

Who knows...maybe they want our cars to consume more fuel....to keep the oil prices and demand up... Grin

Anyway....I remembered another very fuel efficient car...dont know whether it was sold on US market (i doubt, because its probably way too small by any US car standards Grin ).

Volkswagen Lupo 3L (3L meant 3l/100km...or around 78mpg!!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Lupo

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/printer_319.shtml

Sadly they dont make it anymore...production stoped in 2005....and havent heard of any successor to this car yet). And we must not forget that its top speed was 102mph....could do 0-60mph in around 14s...and ran on Diesel.... King King King

Wave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: