Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Sharing Internet Connection
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:18:05    Post Subject: Sharing Internet Connection Reply with quote View Single Post

Need helping sharing an internet connection for my CCNA3&4 class. We have cisco routers+switches, and any kind of cable we should need to do it. Our chapter 1 test is to take an inbound connection and share it to two different computers. I presumed it would be easy, turns out myself and the other two kids that take the class with me couldn't figure it out.

Router version is the 2600.

Any help?
EC this is your cup of tea, yes?

Wave
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:31:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Maybe you should have been paying attention in class instead of trying to set up a proxy server to get past the school's internet filters Yikes

Sorry I could not resist.

Not familiar with the Cisco router you mention but should be just a matter of hooking up an Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of router and then Ethernet cables from the LAN ports on router to the computers. You sure you have Ethernet cables and not cross over cables?

EC was here last night and he has a lot going on but I am sure he will chime in when he sees this, just not sure when he will see it.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:09:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well to start off, not sure if there is a modem, as this is a fiber optic line that it is originating from. Basically she gave the ethernet line that normally gives the connection to her computer in the back, and we have to share it among two other computers. It isn't as simple as connecting the incoming connection into the WAN port, and the outgoing connections into LAN ports on this type of router.

I'll try to find a pic of the router so you can see what im talking about.

PS - I have half my schedule as computer classes this year, the cisco class being one of them. Were in a seperate lab in the cisco class, and we dont normally even have the internet. I was looking up alternatives to go around the proxy instead of learning "Computerized Accounting" Razz
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:11:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In addition, the exact model is the 2620XM
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:16:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:11:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Multi-service router, I think, takes 2 lines and makes them into one (not sharing a connection, but combining two lines to reduce the number of wires...like having voice/data over the same line like DSL or ADSL). I'm probably wrong, but that's how we used one of these at a place once.

To do what you want, you need just a simple router/switch and use it as Dad said.

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:50:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Where would I plug in what if I were to use the switch that I had with it? Incoming connection into the basic FastEthernet port? Outgoing connection out of the second FastEthernet port? I believe I tried that and it didn't work...

I should be using straight-through cabling for this, right?

How I had it setup+didn't work

Incoming connection goes into FastEthernet 0/1, outgoing connection to switch goes from FastEthernet port 0/0 to the first port on the switch. I then used the switch to connect both computers into ports 2+3. I would've thought thats how I would set it up, but it obviously didn't work...Perhaps I need a crossover cable somewhere? ( I've always been bad at determining which type I need when setting up a network with these things...

Next hour, I'll see how it goes. Might try switching out to a different router, these have been known to crap out on us.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

LaTech
Ruthless TechTator

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:37:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you have a switch, why are you wanting to use the multi-service thing? I mean, why not use your switch as it was intended!

As for the crossover cable, depending on which switch you have, it should auto switch. I use a little cheap router and it auto switches without a problem.

There should be one port labled WAN on the switch. Just plug your cable from the wall in there and then the cable to the computer in the other ports.

Are there lights? What are they showing? they should show even if you only have the computers plugged in.

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:00:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LaTech wrote:
If you have a switch, why are you wanting to use the multi-service thing? I mean, why not use your switch as it was intended!

As for the crossover cable, depending on which switch you have, it should auto switch. I use a little cheap router and it auto switches without a problem.

There should be one port labled WAN on the switch. Just plug your cable from the wall in there and then the cable to the computer in the other ports.

Are there lights? What are they showing? they should show even if you only have the computers plugged in.

No WAN port on the switch, simply a bunch of identical ports. I dont think it is possible to do with this hardware. The lights are yellow (as opposed to orange), so the connection is being made
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:01:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Switch looks like this http://www.cisco.com/image/jpeg/en/us/guest/products/ps631/c1198/cdccont_0900aecd800ad94b.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: