Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
What is the best way to set up a home network?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:01:29    Post Subject: What is the best way to set up a home network? Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a wireless laptop and a wired desktop. I can access soem shared network files from my desktop on my laptop but it kind of confuses me as to how it really works. Seems like I have to share each folder sepeatly and do special things to get the folders shared.

I am confused by all of it and for some reason I can not get ceartain folders shared- can somebody break it down for me?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:49:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Do it the easy way.. Windows has what is called an Admin Share at the root of all hard drives.

Every drive you have on your computer will have a <Drive Letter>$ share (i.e. C$, D$, etc). So you can just use those.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:21:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That's the simplest way, and way I did it for a long time. If you want to do it the way I do now, setup a spare PC (or even that used desktop of yours), setup a specialized folder in which all of your shared stuff will be stored. You can then access it locally and remotely. That's still pretty basic; if you want to get it secured like I do, too (because I get bored easily), than you can set the proper permissions and remote access usernames/passwords and whatnot. For example, I can only access the shares on my desktop from my laptop if I login the laptop as the user "rich" with the same password. If someone else logs onto the laptop or any PC in the house with a different username and password, access to the remote share will be denied.
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 07:21:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah it is still a bit confusing for a person liek me with little to no experience with network setups.

RIght now I have some folders that are shared and many that are not. I will take a look tonight at sharing the entire C-drive. That might be the eaisest thing to do.

Basically at this point I jsut want to bring all of my I-tunes song files over from my desktop to my laptop. But most of my other files, while it would be nice to access them, I think I will keep them on the desktop and not share them. My reason is that this:

- The desktop is pretty old
- It is running on hope and dreams (seriously it is hurting and I guess from the abuse and the years it has begun to run very sluggishly and what not)
- I have downloaded a lot of programs to it over the years- deleted a lot too. Between that I think I have aquired a few viruses and I am nto sure if they were ever fully treated by AVG. But I think the damage was done.

The computer is still running jsut not well. I probably should try to wipe it out and re-install windows and work fro ma clean slate but since I don't know how to do that, I am scared to do it, and the computer might not be able to handle it and could give me a permanant black screen I think it is better to jsut use it for what it is worth in the time being.

Heck right now I have to put the windows recovery CD into the CD drive just to get the computer to boot up. Otherwise I get this message that says CD BOOT Drive: or something liek that and it gets stuck.
Kalo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:01:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Perhaps you can search for some wireless network setup guides?
jasno999
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:11:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
Perhaps you can search for some wireless network setup guides?

But KALO that is what I have you for.
Kalo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 08:19:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

lol, if only everything was that easy mah trend. Razz
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: