Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Vantec NexStar LX NAS Hard Drive Enclosure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:06:30    Post Subject: Vantec NexStar LX NAS Hard Drive Enclosure Reply with quote View Single Post

When connected via USB, the NexStar LX functions simply as an external hard drive with no server capabilities, but it does offer excellent data transfer speeds. When connected via Ethernet, the true power is unleashed and you can take full advantage of the SMB and FTP server applications built in to the device. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:04:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Is there an SATA version of this enclosure?

I can't bring myself to buy an IDE drive.

I would love to find an enclosure that does SATA 2 and Gigalan.

Anythign exist yet that will do this? (and not cost a fortune).
msvillarreal
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 00:53:22    Post Subject: NexStar LX Reply with quote View Single Post

I just bought this unit and seems to be working fine thru the USB connection, but when i access it thru the ethernet connection after a very long period of activity the unit just get freeze. After that i need to do a power cycle.

If i access it thru the ethernet port doing work that does not demand long periods of activity the unit performs fine. It is just when i perform long access tasks when the unit fails.

Any idea? Is there a firmware update?

Thx.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:27:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I didn't see a firmware update, yet... and haven't experienced that problem. What I have seen recently is that if I set the drive to sleep after a certain amount of time, sometimes I have a hard time waking it back up. Has happened maybe 3 times, but I don't know what to blame yet, and I just power cycle it.
bruceleeon
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:22:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I actually like the fact that this is IDE. You will never reach the data transfer speed of the drive transfering data through USB or ethernet anyway. Why not save money, hit ebay for an ide drive and call it a day. Besides, I can't think of one enthusiast I know of that doesn't have at least 2 IDE drives in a drawer somewhere
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:57:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just got one of these units and I'm severely underwhelmed. I have read a lot of reviews and they are consistent in their general praise with the same warnings about slow net performance. My unit does not behave like this at all.

First I put in an old 8 GB Maxtor drive (9084OD6) I had lying around. This worked fine over USB but I could not create shares. I currently have a somewhat newer 20 GB Maxtor drive in it. This one had no trouble creating shares. The shares also show up on my LAN without too much hassle. The problem is that files that I store on the share get corrupted! Small text files work fine but executables can no longer be executed (say setup programs) and zip files can no longer be unzipped. The cygwin 'diff' program confirmed that binary files that should be identical are not.

I then tried ftp transfer. Copying a file using ftp and then copying it back also corrupts the file.

I have sent an email to Vantec and hope they respond soon. I suspect it's a hard drive compatibility issue but I really don't want to buy a new HD. The whole point of this box was to use a hard drive you have lying around collecting dust. The manual doesn't say anything about HD requirements other than setting them to master.

I formatted the drives to FAT32 and even had the enclosure do the formatting. DHCP on the unit is disabled. My LAN is pretty small and reliable.

Any tips on what I can try? Thanks!
bruceleeon
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:14:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

A hammer?
Boo Boo

Nocturna
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:25:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I got the unit replaced by eWiz and the new one works fine. It's not a stellar product but it's cheap and now does what it's supposed to do. I kept a log in my blog (heh).

http://blog.tungstentech.com/CommentView,guid,8f7c768f-85bd-46d5-bfd5-34243ae478ee.aspx
opj38
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:55:09    Post Subject: Nexstar LX hard drive encloser Reply with quote View Single Post

sorry posted wrong section:
hi, just bought a nexstar Lx harddrive encloser, have set it through router . 5 gig hard drive, i am able to access the file through my network, lapptop and desktop. How do I set it up to access it through the internet using ftp . Any help please on how to set it up . New to networking so step by step wolud be nice. Thanks in advance.
thimothy
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:14:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would like to recommend Vantec NexStar LX to all my fellow bloggers. It is a brilliant storage device. I have been using it over the last three years and in my view it is the best storage device available in the market right now. It’s most important advantage is that it is quick. Data can be transferred very fast and it really saves time. The only complaint I have about it is that when you connect it via Ethernet it becomes very slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: