Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
View Single Post  Topic: Vantec NexStar LX NAS Hard Drive Enclosure 
Nocturna
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:57:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these units and I'm severely underwhelmed. I have read a lot of reviews and they are consistent in their general praise with the same warnings about slow net performance. My unit does not behave like this at all.

First I put in an old 8 GB Maxtor drive (9084OD6) I had lying around. This worked fine over USB but I could not create shares. I currently have a somewhat newer 20 GB Maxtor drive in it. This one had no trouble creating shares. The shares also show up on my LAN without too much hassle. The problem is that files that I store on the share get corrupted! Small text files work fine but executables can no longer be executed (say setup programs) and zip files can no longer be unzipped. The cygwin 'diff' program confirmed that binary files that should be identical are not.

I then tried ftp transfer. Copying a file using ftp and then copying it back also corrupts the file.

I have sent an email to Vantec and hope they respond soon. I suspect it's a hard drive compatibility issue but I really don't want to buy a new HD. The whole point of this box was to use a hard drive you have lying around collecting dust. The manual doesn't say anything about HD requirements other than setting them to master.

I formatted the drives to FAT32 and even had the enclosure do the formatting. DHCP on the unit is disabled. My LAN is pretty small and reliable.

Any tips on what I can try? Thanks!

Contact Us :: On Facebook :: On Youtube :: Newsletter :: RSS Feed :: FAQ :: Links :: Sponsors :: Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Bigbruin.com - All rights reserved