Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
nVidia Cards
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:01:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Shadowsilence wrote:
knight0334 wrote:
(been out of the computer/OC"n hobby for 4-5 years now)

Blasphemy! Repent! Yikes

My existing system that just died, an XP-M 2600 OC'd to 2626mhz and Radeon 9800pro, has been able to do all I needed since 2004. ...played Doom 3, WoW, and BF1942. So there was no need to upgrade.. I dont play any games anymore, well til Diablo III comes out.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:35:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've looked at the OEM one's and honestly not impressed for anything other than a kids or basic internet/word processing system.

I think even for modest gaming, building your own (or having a shop do it) is still the best way to go for bang for your buck. But then you don't get all that great pre-loaded software...............
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:02:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

building one has its problems... I'm not home during the week to receive packages.

local shops cost twice as much for a PC than buying an OEM at Bestbuy, and you still only get half the system of an OEM.

pre-loaded software isn't a problem - format C: lol
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:14:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
building one has its problems... I'm not home during the week to receive packages.

local shops cost twice as much for a PC than buying an OEM at Bestbuy, and you still only get half the system of an OEM.

pre-loaded software isn't a problem - format C: lol

Have you ever considered a mail box? Not like a PO box, but a Mailboxes Etc or something? They can normally hold packages a few days for you. I used to use something like that all the time, was a life saver.

Shoot your local PC shops.... Sniper Rip off's!

Laughing Wave
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:47:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I installed my new card last night, 285GTX, but had a driver issue with Win7...when running the MS driver or the latest from Nvidia I got a crash while running 3DMark Vantage.

But I did get a Windows Experience score...
8800GTS = 6.1
285GTX = 6.6
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:56:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

6.6 sounds low... I get 6.5 with a HD4850, 6.8 with a HD4870, and 6.9 with a HD4890 (7.0 if I overclock it a little). On the Nvidia side, high card is a GTX260 that scores 6.4.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:04:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, I thought it was a little low too...but how meaningful is that test anyway? Why wouldn't that crash (with MS driver or Nvidia's) while the 3DMark would crash with a driver issue?

What did those cards get with 3DMark Vantage?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:06:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Modulok wrote:
Yeah, I thought it was a little low too...but how meaningful is that test anyway? Why wouldn't that crash (with MS driver or Nvidia's) while the 3DMark would crash with a driver issue?

What did those cards get with 3DMark Vantage?

Check the review of the 4890 for all cards mentioned...

http://www.bigbruin.com/content/sapphirehd4890_5

Back one page for system specs.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:13:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

hmm...I would hope it will get over 10,000 for GPU score...my 8800GTS got 6,XXX, and didn't crash due to driver issue in Win7.

Guess I have some Win7 driver troubleshooting to do. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I found some interesting Nvidia forum posts.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=104296
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t98098.html

They say the fan wasn't kicking on when the temps got hot...come to think of it, I didn't notice the fan speeding up at all...in fact, it was very quiet!
Second link says that the card was overclocked past the specs, something else I will check tonight!

This is my first BFG product, from this limited info and experience, I hope I don't need to return it for an EVGA 285GTX Yikes
Blake
Unwillingly Unwitty

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:41:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I like the fans on those 8800GTS cards, super quiet. But they can freak people out especially since they do not kick on as soon as the system starts up, there is a few second delay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: