Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Reduce Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD4870 Fan Noise
http://www.bigbruin.com/2008/toxicbios_1
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 06:40:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The driver's won't matter, and the memory installed shouldn't matter... But I am not sure, since I have only tried it out on a 512MB card. The information that came with the BIOS from Sapphire simple says it is "revised BIOS for TOXIC HD 4870". No mention of memory size, part number, etc to make it specific.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

cerebus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:00:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've got the same problem as supermunkey. A random crash after any number of minutes either under load or at start up. All goes black and the card fan goes nuts. Was it just a bios flash that cured it? If so would it be possible to send me a link to the update please. I've already had two 4870's go back to base for replacement, it's starting to get on my nerves! Also (bit of an embarrasing question): how do I update the bios Confused

Thanks for any help.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 07:42:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi - welcome! The BIOS file comes with a Windows flash utility, so that part is pretty easy.

I could send you an e-mail with more info. Should I use the address you used to register here?

Grin
cerebus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:58:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That would be great Jason, thanks. Yes please, use that e-mail. I'll report back with a progress report in case thats of use to anyone. Interestingly , my mobo's an asus (as is supermunkeys) and my processors a Q6600 (as is supermunkeys) - could there be a compatability problem that Sapphire don't know about?
acidvertigo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 17:37:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello JAson,

I have this card and the fan noise is a big problem.

Can you please send me the bios file? Wave
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 15:41:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just e-mailed the info to the two guys who asked... Sorry for the delay (yeah - I forgot).

I don't see why there would be compatibility issues with other hardware... Doesn't seem likely, but I can't say for sure.
cerebus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:14:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks Jason. Before I do the bios thingy can I just check I'm doing it right (don't want to make matters worse). Fire up the flash utility.....click load image and browse to the bios you sent me...then click program.....wait for smoke to clear......click save and exit? Test and grin happily? Is that right?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:25:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yup. I don't remember, but a reboot may be required. And, it is a good idea to close any applications that are running and not needed before starting.
acidvertigo
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:23:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thank you! Wave

I'm using the new firmware and the fan start at a higher temperature. Now i'm on 70°C - 75 °C on full load.

I'm also using a 2D/3D trick using ATI tools. When in 2d the card is at 160 / 250 Mhz at 45°C in idle 1,083V.

Low Noise... Low Temperature... and Low Wattage Razz

I wonder why ATI not lowered the frequencies in 2D mode. 500/1000 for 2D is useless.

Now i go to sleep Bad Air

Thank you very much!
cerebus
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:40:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not such good news here I'm afraid. Tried the flash, however it rejected it saying something like "system does not match". Then I had same problems as before - black screen, fan at top revs, all occurring randomly. Today its decided to do that every time I switch the PC on.

I think I'll send it back! I'd love to know how to fix it though 'cos I like the card itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: