Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
is it absolutely necessary?
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m0drix
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:27:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Even if you did overclock it, it would still choke in games because it has less shader processors than the more gaming friendly cards. A cheaper solution would be to just go with a Radeon HD 4830 because of it's low power consumption and high SPU count.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

x.clay
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:48:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I agree with the others that watercooling really isn't worth it and you should probably just save your money for a new card. If you really want to get a little more performance out of your current card you can try an aftermarket cooler. I just installed one on my 4870 but it was more to reduce the fan noise than for overclocking. It did drop my temps quite a bit which should help overclocking.

This one might be a decent fit since it doesn't cost a lot:

Artic Cooling Accels Rev 2

The only cards I would consider watercooling is something like the 4850x2 or 4870x2 since the stock coolers are loud and they aren't compatible with air cooled heatsinks.
papajohn
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 23:25:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I recommend using Rivetuner too. Pretty easy and straightforward to OC your video card. Increase the GPU frequency little by little in increment of say 10MHz at a time. You know you hit your OC limit when your monitor doesn't display properly.
motanacu
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:27:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think the temps will tell him when he`s almost reaching the OC limits...
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 05 May 2009 11:04:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

x.clay wrote:

The only cards I would consider watercooling is something like the 4850x2 or 4870x2 since the stock coolers are loud and they aren't compatible with air cooled heatsinks.

I've water cooled all my video cards, past and present, it makes a huge difference in temps and noise levels....................... Grin

x.clay
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 05 May 2009 16:05:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

sbrehm72255 wrote:
x.clay wrote:

I've water cooled all my video cards, past and present, it makes a huge difference in temps and noise levels....................... Grin

yeah, but I still don't think it makes sense when the water cooling setup would cost more than his current graphics cards. For the cost of a rad, pump, tubing, fans, and GPU block he could get a high end card that would be much faster than the best overclocks he could get off his 8400 gs.
sbrehm72255
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 05 May 2009 19:00:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Out of his current card that's for sure, but with a high-end card that you want to get top OC's out of and keep the card alive, water cooling is required................Grin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Bojamijams
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:56:07    Post Subject: Re: is it absolutely necessary? Reply with quote View Single Post

TIMB3RW01F wrote:
I have a NVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB PCIe video card. I was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to use liquid-cooling for overclocking my video card? I don't have enough money to buy a kit and a compatible case, so i was wondering if it's absolutely positively necessary. If so, I'll wait until I get paid to buy all the accoutrements needed.

Thanks, BigBruiners!

Definetly not worth it for that card. In fact, water cooling a graphics card is unnecessary unless you have a hot air pocket (in which case, its cheaper to get a better case), or you plan on doing a lot of voltage tweaks to the card.

The limiting factor on video card overclocks is not heat, its the fixed voltage value that 99% of cards have, your included.
AustralianGQ
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 23:14:51    Post Subject: Re: is it absolutely necessary? Reply with quote View Single Post

TIMB3RW01F wrote:
I have a NVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB PCIe video card. I was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to use liquid-cooling for overclocking my video card? I don't have enough money to buy a kit and a compatible case, so i was wondering if it's absolutely positively necessary. If so, I'll wait until I get paid to buy all the accoutrements needed.

Thanks, BigBruiners!

i think air cooling would do fine if you got a few good fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: