Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
need help big time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puddin
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 00:28:29    Post Subject: need help big time Reply with quote View Single Post

--------------Computer Specs----------------

----Case----
ABS Canyon 695 4 x140mm Fan Multiple Heat Zones Full Aluminum Super Tower Computer Case - Retail

----Motherboard----
EVGA 132-YW-E180-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

----CPU---
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 - Retail

----Hard Drives----
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
2 Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

----Video card----
EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

---Power Supply----
ABS Tagan ITZ Series ITZ1100 1100W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

----Monitor----
Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor - Retail

----CD ROM----
ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-20B1LT - Retail

----O.S.----
Microsoft Windows XP Professional with SP2 - Retail

----RAM----
Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS34G2000LLKN - Retail

----CPU Heatsink----
ASUS Triton 78 120mm EBR CPU Cooler - Retail

----Missilanious----
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
ABS M1 Heavy Duty Professional Gaming Mechanical Keyboard - Retail
BELKIN BE112230-08 8 Feet 12 Outlets 3940 Joules Surge Protector With Telephone And Coaxial Protection - Retail
LINKSYS WUSB300N-BP USB 2.0 Wireless-N Network Adapter - Retail

My computer just shut down on me last night. it was hqaving some errors with my lyksys n usb wireless conector saying it was an unknown device then poof my computer just locked up on me then shut down. I had everythign runnign well, except for some crashed in COH when i would play, but it wasn;t heat related i think as i ran HW Monitor and wasn;tgettign anythign outrageous.

There are my sytem specs, i tried evga tech support but they told me to reseqat my cpu and take out the battery on the mobo and reset cmos which i did but nothing worked.

I get the code FF on my mobo and all the lights come on includign the red one that says the CPu is overheating even tho its a fresh boot and can;t be to hot already. The power and reset buttons don;t work after i turn it on from them its like its frozen. And i can;t see the post screen.

I don;t have anopther psu to try or another cpu. Is there anythign i can do to see what it is?

Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 00:55:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

2 Things I'd say...

1) Unplug it, disconnect the battery and leave it overnight (or at least a few hours).

2) Remove everything except the CPU, 1 Stick of RAM, and the Video card. See what happens.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 01:46:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What EC said. It also can't hurt to remove the cpu and reinstall it, that way you get to reseat the HSF to make sure it's seated properly. Is it a stock cpu cooler or an aftermarket cooler? I've noticed sometimes the cheezy plastic pins intel puts on their heatsinks don't always lock in and it wouldn't surprise me if one of them popped back out. If it did it would literally take a matter of seconds for the cpu to overheat and shutdown.

Last edited by acruxksa on Sat, 06 Dec 2008 01:48:49; edited 1 time in total
Puddin
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 12:40:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK, i called EVGA tech support as well.

Things i tried.

Reasating the CPu and making sure my ehatsink was secure. tehre was that 4 pin plastic push thigns and 1 was loose, btu even reseated it had the same problem.

I removed the motherboard battery for abotu 20 mins, nothing.

I cleared the cmos with the button on the mobo, nothing.

I tried with with and without Ram, Videocard in different combos and with both out and nothing.

EVGA told me it sounds liek a bad CPU because of the red light. ITs an indicator somethign is wrong.

I reseated the cpu 2-3 times. and it doesn;t seem to help. My motherboard is staying in standby mode and they said its probly due to the cpu problem btu it dowsn;t sound liek a mobo, it could be the psu but since its getting power they said its unlikly...

My main problem is i don;t have another psu i can use. I need a 24 pin and an 8 pin connector. and i don;t have a socket 775 to test out as well.

Doh!

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 17:28:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The problem you've got now is that you probably need some extra hardware to troubleshoot. Do you have a friend with a computer you could try some of your hardware in?

I'd be leary of trying a possibly bad psu in another system though. To be honest, if your heatsink wasn't seated properly you could have a bad cpu. They are supposed to have circuitry that keeps them from frying, but I wouldn't count on it. The only way to know exactly which part is causing the problem is to have spares to swap in or out. Unfortunately, there's a good chance that if EVGA thinks it's the cpu it could actually be the cpu. It's generally not a good idea to throw good money after bad, but there are some pretty inexpensive socket 775 cpu's out there that you could pick up for troubleshooting purposes, although if something else caused the cpu to fry you could end up doing the same thing to a new one.

Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:10:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i can RMA the motherboard and the CPu since i bought them on newegg and i boguht them as a combo so i must rma both since i boghut them as a combo. My psu seems fine. I am just weary of RMAing both and i guess payign shipping and then they tell me its not those. But i suppose 15 bucks in shipping is cheaper then buying a new 775.

Cheapest 775 i could find was 40-50 bucks on new egg and the local best buy had one for 100... and a local computer shop has one but wants to charge me 40 bucks to diagnose the problem..... sooo i am thinkign i rma both back to new egg, they test the, and i pay shipping?

*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:43:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Why do you have to RMA both? Did you ask NE if you had to RMA both because they were a combo?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Puddin
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 21:44:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well i read the RMA policy and if you buy somethign as a combo deal and have to rma 1, you have to RMA the whole combo deal... I do have a slight problem, the small plastic case that the chip came in, the tiny case just big enough for the CPU so i hope they don;t doc me because of that...

"All combo/bundle items must be returned together in order for Newegg.com to process an RMA for refund."

Thats from the top of the RMA selection part on the newegg rma website... So i figure since i got the combo cpu and Mobo, if i return both it should have both checked? I can;t call newegg untill monday because their phone lines are not open until 9am pst on monday....

Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:33:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

well i sent them both back, hopefully they will come back soon and the problems solved.. if not i am in deep s#!7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: