Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
WD VelociRaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:52:23    Post Subject: WD VelociRaptor Reply with quote View Single Post

I recently just purchased a Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. In case anyone was curious, I did a quick benchmark with CyrstalDiskMark 2.1. My system specs are as follows: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz. 4 GB G.Skill ram, and Windows Vista Ultimate x64 with Sp1. I'm not sure if they're good times or not, but sharing for anyone interested in the drive.

hdd-benchmark.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.23 KB
 Viewed:  375 Time(s)

hdd-benchmark.jpg

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:48:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cool! Got any other drives to run for comparison? I am not familiar with that test... Grin
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:44:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I attempted to use HD Tach, but the version I found didn't work with Vista. If you know any other more known benchmark utilities I'll try them too. I'll also hook up a 750gig seagate, and a 120gig older seagate when I have the computer apart again.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:22:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Shadowsilence wrote:
I attempted to use HD Tach, but the version I found didn't work with Vista.

Run it in XP SP2 compatibility mode - Right click on shortcut, Go to the compatibility tab, Select run in XP SP2 mode.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:23:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Or try HD Tune. Just like HD Tach, but 100% more Vista-ier.
SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 04:40:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

VelociRaptor is surely a beast...no doubt here...and every real computer enthusiasts dream (mine too Grin ). I actually wanted to buy previous version of Raptor...150GB model...but since i needed more storage space instead of just pure raw speed...i bought Samsung's SpinPoint 1TB drive. And before i ran this benchmark...I though that VelociRaptor would eat my Samsung for breakfast....but as you are able to see below...thats just not quite the case....while it is faster here and there...there are areas where Samsung is faster too.

Anyway...here are results...1st pic (above) is from my 2 WD (120&160GB) IDE drives in RAID0 -- I believe they could do better if only they werent limited to use UATA100...because single drive (in hdtach) starts reading at some 60MB/s and ends at around 45MB/s...so 2 drives in RAID0 should start way over 100MB/s...but UATA100 limits that to just 100MB/s...so in hdtach...there is looooooong line just under 100MB/s....and only close to an end of disc(s)...it slowly goes down to around 70MB/s....averaging around 80MB/s. Shame that they cant do more, although they could. Bang Head

2nd pic (below) is from Samsung 1TB drive...not much to say there...exept that it's hard to determine a true winner...i would say its a draw of some sort...or what do you guys and girls think? Confused

Maybe we really should include hdtach, hdtune and/or some other benchmarks to be able to know more...who knows?!! King Wink

Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:11:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Or try HD Tune. Just like HD Tach, but 100% more Vista-ier.

Here ya go.

Hdd-benchmark2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.18 KB
 Viewed:  350 Time(s)

Hdd-benchmark2.jpg

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:31:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow...here (in HdTune) the all the greatness of VelociRaptor was unleashed. It did better (not by some BIG amount but still) in all areas exept CPU usage (but that doesnt count much).

While average transfer rate was 7MB/s higher than at Samsung...what i was most impressed with...was access time (7.4ms against 16.1ms)! Finally...burst 150MB/s vs. 113MB/s. Btw...the Velociraptor is SATA2 drive right? If so, its the same as Samsung...and both scored only up to SATA (1)'s max....so 150MB/s. Strange... Rolling Eyes Confused Even more because in almost every other disk benchmark software i tested my hdd with...it scored around 220-230MB/s at burst (i'll attach the HdTach results below too), while here...it scored "only" 113MB/s (and i am sure VelociRaptors max burst should be way over 200MB/s too. Since the HdTune v2.55 was released in February 2008, and both hdd's are newer than that...i believe its some sort of software's fault not to give true results (at least at burst rate - not sure about else). Also if I try to check drive's info...it doesnt say whether it's IDE or SATA, nor its buffer size (while at my older ide raid0 hdd's it reports everything just nice), and also it didnt detect your (Velociraptor's) temperature... Bang Head Mad

Ok nevermind...here is the screenshot....congrats to Velociraptor which took the lead for now...and cya in next round(s)...hahahhaha...although the winner in best speed and access times is already known....WD...but in terms of not just speed but also big capacity (1TB) and price...Samsung is the winner.... Grin King

HdTune - SATA SAMSUNG.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.83 KB
 Viewed:  337 Time(s)

HdTune - SATA SAMSUNG.PNG

SpeedZone
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:36:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Since i couldnt attach one more pic to the post above....i replied and here it is...hope its ok.... Wink

HdTach 3.0.4.0...average speed is maybe 3MB/s higher...few ms also access time...so no big deal...but here is the part i was talking about...BURST....220MB/s! And in HdTune it was 113MB/s....so one is clearly wrong...question is which one... Confused Grin Wink

Wave

HdTach.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.84 KB
 Viewed:  327 Time(s)

HdTach.PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: