Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Dinosaur died
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:12:33    Post Subject: Dinosaur died Reply with quote View Single Post

I haven't upgraded my computer in a LONG time. I had to replace the motherboard and processor because I had left my computer with my parents and my dad zapped the heatsink (and thus the CPU and mobo) with 12v (don't ask). When I replaced it I replaced it with pretty much the same parts.

So anyway, out of the blue my computer won't post anymore and I tried everything and it doesn't go past FF (mobo/bios problem) on the LED. It's an Epox 8RDA+ Pro/Athlon XP M combo and it would seem that the motherboard is toast. I don't have another processor to check and make sure it's not the CPU, and I don't have another AXP mobo to put in it's place either. It's been a while since I've been into any of this but I think I narrowed it down as far as I can.

I unplugged everything but the RAM, video card, and keyboard and tried it. It went through a few codes and stopped at F2 (which I can't find in the manual), then I replaced the PSU and video card and tried again, just goes to FF now. I cleared the CMOS, checked the RAM in another computer, put the RAM and original video card back in and it still just goes straight to FF and sits there, the monitor never kicks on.

Anything I've overlooked or could try?

I planned on upgrading my whole system after I get another car, but I can't do that since I don't even have another car yet.

If the mobo is dead, I need a replacement since I can't afford to upgrade the whole system. I really don't want to buy another AXP board but that's all I can do right now. Anyone have one they could sell or know where I could get one cheap? I want a decent one since I do have the system overclocked and I hate cheesy motherboards. I also need SATA and firewire.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:30:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Damn. Just gave away a 1700+ CPU and threw away the mobo that went with it. More active forum's with for sale areas should hook you up cheaply or even free on old gear like that.
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:05:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Gimme a few days, I am going to California Monday and I left an 8rda+ there with a friend, if its still there its yours. Just pay shipping, I bet it still has a 1700+ or 2100+ sitting in it.

I'll get back to you.
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:29:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Awesome.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:19:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dud3! I just dug through my closet and came up with an AthlonXP 1700+ and K7S5A mobo if your interested. It's a really old board (sdram or DDR, no firewire and definitely no sata), but I just checked and it did post. If you don't want the board no problem, I'll discard it (no good to me without the cpu). PM me if your interested in the 1700+ and I'll try to get it out to you asap.

Oh ya, it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Kind of amazed that I still have it. I boxed up all my AthlonXP stuff last year and donated it to extreme overclocking's folding@home guru's. There was quite a bit of stuff because it included my old 4 mobo folding farm. This one was hiding up on the top shelf in the corner.

Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:56:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have been busy as heck but should find out tomorrow if that board is still in existance.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:47:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I got a PC chips mobo with embedded 1700+ (I think) takes DDR, but no SATA/FW Sad
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:56:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know Dudelio is well covered on old systems to get up and running again, but check out this deal...

ATX motherboard plus Celeron 1.7Ghz... $33!

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=MBB10588
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 20:48:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'd be fine with that board acruxksa but I have to have SATA for my main HDD. Thanks for the offer though.

I've been too busy to worry about looking for a board yet and I have a friend's computer that he's storing at my house. I'm starting to go insane from using windows and not being able to do anything or get to my music (I can't hook my hdd to my friend's comp because it's windows).

Anyway, if someone can come up with one great, otherwise I'll hit eBay when I get a chance.

Thanks for the help guys!

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:03:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

PCI SATA adapters are like $12 at Newegg... Maybe that is the answer to get that FREE board/cpu working for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:40:22; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: