Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Eagle Tech Computers D-Series External Storage System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:35:50    Post Subject: Eagle Tech Computers D-Series External Storage System Reply with quote View Single Post

This review will take a look at an interesting new enclosure from Eagle Tech Computers. Their D-Series External Storage System, model ET-CSDU2F-BK, supports two SATA hard drive (with capacities up to 750GB each) in either a RAID 0 or JBOD configuration, and connects to a host computer via either USB 2.0 or Firewire. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

CPickford
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:14:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Would this external HDD SATA RAID0 enclosure work with an already existing RAID0 array?

We had a software RAID on our editing suite, but the motherboard died. We're hoping to recover the video files that were on the RAID without going through the tedium of recapturing them all from the source tapes. Our hope is to be able to simply install the hard drives into this enclosure, and have it recognize the existing RAID.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:04:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi... welcome!

Considering the connection is Firewire or USB, I would guess the configuration would be different than whatever chipset the previous RAID array was based on. While you may get lucky, it definitely isn't likely.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:22:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Agreed with BB.

I will also say though, the drives were un-changed when I connected them. That was part of the problem I had to begin with, one of the drives was partitioned, so it wasn't working. Removed that partition and it worked perfectly.

I'm not sure how your RAID worked, however when I entered windows and connected this, the Disk Management tool in Windows showed both drives as one drive, as if there was two partitions. Deleted the partitions, and it became one drive. (Hopefully that makes sense)
CPickford
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:22:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for your prompt replies. I'm going to go ahead and try it anyway... but I know it's a long shot. The good news is, the data isn't irreplaceable. I'm pretty sure I can rebuild just about everything that was on there, thanks to keeping our project files and video files on separate drives... but when we've got projects waiting to be edited, and they're already delayed by having to rebuild our editing suite, I'm hoping to avoid added delays from having to recapture all our footage.

I did try plugging the same drives into my computer at home, and Windows Vista recognized them as two separate drives, but couldn't access the data (obviously) and was prompting me to format them. Clearly, Windows Vista is missing the point.

Again, thanks for your input. I'll post an update once it arrives, and give you the verdict. Here's hoping for miracles! Cool In the worst case, we'll have yet another method of storing files - particularly as we move into HD editing.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:57:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Good luck with it! Please do let us know how it turns out.

The difference will be that the device is designed as a RAID 0 device, while Vista, unless you use a software RAID application (which I'm not sure if there are any good working ones), it will only act as it did for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: